Designing Pressure Vessel for Heating Air to 500 C

In summary, the conversation was about designing a cylindrical vessel for heating air up to 500°C at a pressure of 2.5 bars and a volume of 1 litre. The person is familiar with designing simple cylinders but is unsure of what material to use and what thermal factors to consider for the heating. The best approach suggested was to use the ASME Section VIII Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code or the Pressure Vessel Handbook. It was also mentioned that in the US, the vessel could possibly be made from a small pipe to avoid falling under the ASME BPV Code, but it is still recommended to use the code for proper design. The same may not apply in other countries, so specifying the location would be helpful for someone
RKD89
Hi Guys
I need to design a Cylindrical vessel, in which Air is to be heated from the bottom upto temperatures as high as about 500 C( 773 K)
Since it s a closed vessel , the pressure will reach around 2.5bars.
The volume of the vessel should be something around 1 litre.

I know how to design simple "thin" and "thick" cylinders.
Since the pressure is not too large, I don't think it would be that difficult.

My Problem is I have no clue what material to Use and what thermal factors to consider for the Heating.

If somebody could point me to the right direction, suggestion some book , or reference, it will be appreciated.

PS: Is it that difficult, will it take lot of time?
Do I need to go through safety codes (as in a boiler)

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The best approach is to use ASME Section VIII Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code. It has all the wall thickness formulas and allowable stresses for materials at different temperatures.

If you do not have access to this code, try to find "Pressure Vessel Handbook"

This calculation is fairly straighforward, once you have all the information in front of you.

Is this for a school project or actual design?

In the US, the vessel could probably be made from a relatively small pipe (less than 6" ID) such that it avoids falling under the scope of the ASME BPV. Still, the proper way to do the design in the US is to use the ASME BPV Code regardless of whether or not it gets stamped. If it's larger than 6" ID, by law it has to be a coded vessel which means it has to be designed, built and stamped as an ASME vessel by a certified manufacturer.

I don't know exactly what codes apply in other countries around the world. You should specify what country this is going to be built and used in so someone with the right knowledge of that country's laws can help out.

edgepflow said:
The best approach is to use ASME Section VIII Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code. It has all the wall thickness formulas and allowable stresses for materials at different temperatures.

If you do not have access to this code, try to find "Pressure Vessel Handbook"

This calculation is fairly straighforward, once you have all the information in front of you.

Is this for a school project or actual design?

It is more like a project.

thnx for the reference

1. What is a pressure vessel?

A pressure vessel is a container designed to hold gases or liquids at a significantly different pressure than the surrounding environment. It is used to store, transport, or process substances that are under high pressure or temperature.

2. Why is it important to design a pressure vessel for heating air to 500°C?

Heating air to 500°C requires a vessel that can withstand high temperatures and pressure. Proper design is crucial to ensure the safety of the vessel and prevent any potential hazards or failures that could result in injury or damage.

3. What factors are considered in designing a pressure vessel for heating air to 500°C?

Some important factors to consider in designing a pressure vessel for heating air to 500°C include the material of construction, wall thickness, shape and size of the vessel, and the type of heating method used. The pressure and temperature requirements of the process also play a significant role.

4. What materials are typically used in designing pressure vessels for high temperatures?

Materials that can withstand high temperatures and pressures, such as stainless steel, carbon steel, and nickel alloys, are commonly used in designing pressure vessels for heating air to 500°C. The selection of material depends on factors such as chemical compatibility, thermal conductivity, and cost.

5. Are there any safety regulations or codes that need to be followed in designing a pressure vessel for heating air to 500°C?

Yes, there are various safety regulations and codes, such as ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, that need to be followed in designing and fabricating pressure vessels for high temperatures. These codes ensure that the vessel is designed, manufactured, and tested according to industry standards to ensure its safety and reliability.