Pressure Vessel Design

• Thread starter RKD89
  • Start date
Hi Guys
I need to design a Cylindrical vessel, in which Air is to be heated from the bottom upto temperatures as high as about 500 C( 773 K)
Since it s a closed vessel , the pressure will reach around 2.5bars.
The volume of the vessel should be something around 1 litre.

I know how to design simple "thin" and "thick" cylinders.
Since the pressure is not too large, I don't think it would be that difficult.

My Problem is I have no clue what material to Use and what thermal factors to consider for the Heating.

If somebody could point me to the right direction, suggestion some book , or reference, it will be appreciated.

PS: Is it that difficult, will it take lot of time?
Do I need to go through safety codes (as in a boiler)

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

The best approach is to use ASME Section VIII Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code. It has all the wall thickness formulas and allowable stresses for materials at different temperatures.

If you do not have access to this code, try to find "Pressure Vessel Handbook"

This calculation is fairly straighforward, once you have all the information in front of you.

Is this for a school project or actual design?

Q_Goest
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
In the US, the vessel could probably be made from a relatively small pipe (less than 6" ID) such that it avoids falling under the scope of the ASME BPV. Still, the proper way to do the design in the US is to use the ASME BPV Code regardless of whether or not it gets stamped. If it's larger than 6" ID, by law it has to be a coded vessel which means it has to be designed, built and stamped as an ASME vessel by a certified manufacturer.

I don't know exactly what codes apply in other countries around the world. You should specify what country this is going to be built and used in so someone with the right knowledge of that country's laws can help out.

The best approach is to use ASME Section VIII Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code. It has all the wall thickness formulas and allowable stresses for materials at different temperatures.

If you do not have access to this code, try to find "Pressure Vessel Handbook"

This calculation is fairly straighforward, once you have all the information in front of you.

Is this for a school project or actual design?

It is more like a project.

thnx for the reference