1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure/Volume change

1. Jul 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The pressure in a volume of 1760 cubic inches needs to be raised from 16PSI to 40PSI. This is done via a second tank which has a maximum pressure of 100PSI. In order for this system to function, the second volume needs to be of a certain size. Calculate the volume required for tank.

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am stuck on how I can use PSI which is a measurement of pressure for an area with volume.
    Any suggestions on where I could start would be greatly appreciated, as I am truly stuck.

Many thanks,
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

You would use the pressure in the ideal gas law. The unit, PSI, is pounds per square inch; one atmosphere pressure is close to 14.7 PSI. (Pressure always has units which involve area, since it is defined as the force per area on a surface.)

The problem is a bit unclear on one point. Is the gas in the second tank going to be released into the first volume, so that it mixes with it to raise the pressure? Is it assumed that the temperature remains constant while this happens?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?