Pressure washers constant pressure

In summary, Irritated boyfriend believes that the constant back-pressure you feel holding a pressure washer increases the closer you hold it to a wall. His girlfriend believes that if the wand had a constant psi, with outward pressure, wanting to force your arms back while holding it, it would make no difference how close you held it to the wall. Can anyone squash this bug for us?
Spiralout
My GF and I got into a petty argument about pressure washers. She believes that the constant back-pressure you feel holding a pressure wand increases the closer you hold it to a wall (for example). Where as I believe that if the wand had a constant psi, with outward pressure, wanting to force your arms back while holding it, it would make no difference how close you held it to the wall. I believe that the set pressure coming out would be the only pressure you would feel. She believes the pressure would increase the closer you held the nozzle to a solid surface. Can anyone squash this bug for us?? Irritated boyfriend (who hopes he's not wrong)

Physics news on Phys.org
Spiralout said:
My GF and I got into a petty argument about pressure washers. She believes that the constant back-pressure you feel holding a pressure wand increases the closer you hold it to a wall (for example). Where as I believe that if the wand had a constant psi, with outward pressure, wanting to force your arms back while holding it, it would make no difference how close you held it to the wall. I believe that the set pressure coming out would be the only pressure you would feel. She believes the pressure would increase the closer you held the nozzle to a solid surface. Can anyone squash this bug for us?? Irritated boyfriend (who hopes he's not wrong)

Try googling Ground Effect...

Likes Spiralout
Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure if that helps? Couldnt find anything other than aerodynamics of plane wings basically??

Last edited:
Again I am looking for the answer: will the pressure that is forcing my arms back, increase, the closer i hold the pressure washer to a wall. Not, will the wall feel more pressure the closer I hold the pressure washer. Which obviously is yes, it would.

Last edited:
How close is close?

Are pressure washers constant pressure (even when blocked)?

If you blocked the opening then pressure could build up and blow a hose. You always have to turn off the pressure. Anyway, I guess nobody knows. Maybe I asked it wrong. Whatever.

CWatters said:
How close is close?

Are pressure washers constant pressure (even when blocked)?
Close is say, an inch from the wall

I doubt there is any effect until you are very close to the wall. How close is tricky to say. At what point would the flow of water be affected?I wouldn't expect an effect at 1 inch. At some point water is going to bounce off the wall and start hitting the area surrounding the nozzle. I suspect that might happen before any effect due to the flow of water being blocked or slowed.

You will start to get increased reaction back into jet when annular flow area between jet and wall becomes of the same order as jet area .

So for a 10mm dia jet :

Area = 10 * 10 * .0.7854 = 78 mm^2

If h is the stand off distance between jet and wall :

Annulus area = 10 * 3.142 * h = 31 * h

h = 78/31 = 2.5 mm

Exact calculation is a bit more complex but expect some detectable reaction from h = 10mm . Reaction will increase as h decreases and there should be a marked increase in reaction for h = 2,5 mm and values down to zero .

1. What is constant pressure technology in pressure washers?

Constant pressure technology in pressure washers is a feature that maintains a consistent water pressure throughout the cleaning process. This means that regardless of the distance from the pressure washer to the surface being cleaned or the amount of dirt and grime, the pressure remains the same, resulting in more efficient and consistent cleaning.

2. How does constant pressure technology work in pressure washers?

Constant pressure technology works by using a variable speed motor and pressure sensor to monitor and adjust the water flow and pressure. As the water flow and pressure changes, the motor speeds up or slows down to maintain a consistent pressure, resulting in a steady and powerful stream of water.

3. What are the benefits of using a pressure washer with constant pressure technology?

The benefits of using a pressure washer with constant pressure technology include more efficient and consistent cleaning, reduced cleaning time, and less strain on the pressure washer's motor and components. This technology also allows for more control and versatility in tackling different cleaning tasks.

4. Are all pressure washers equipped with constant pressure technology?

No, not all pressure washers have constant pressure technology. This feature is typically found in higher-end or professional-grade pressure washers. It is important to check the product specifications before purchasing a pressure washer to ensure it has this technology if desired.

5. Can constant pressure technology be turned off in pressure washers?

In most cases, constant pressure technology cannot be turned off in pressure washers. However, some pressure washers have adjustable pressure settings that can be manually changed, but this may not result in a completely consistent pressure throughout the cleaning process.