1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability Electron at Point: H Atom

1. Feb 2, 2014 #1
    The problem I'm working on asks: At what radius does the probability of finding an electron at a point in the hydrogen atom fall to 50% of its maximum?

I've already worked through the problem to find the probability at the maximum, which was to take the first derivative of r^2 e^(-2r/a) and then set it equal to zero and solve for r (results in r = a). For the 50% of maximum do I simply set that derivative equal to 0.5?

Sent from my iPad using Physics Forums

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2014 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

ah, no that wouldn't get the right answer. the question is about probability. you have the wavefunction, so how do you calculate the probability of finding the electron at a certain place?

4. Feb 2, 2014 #3
    Integral of the probability density; from 0 to 2pi in this case (I think).

5. Feb 2, 2014 #4

BruceW

Homework Helper

you don't need to do any integration. what's important is the probability density. if the probability of finding an electron in one place is 1/2 the probability of finding it in another specific place, then what can you say about the ratio of the probability density at these two points?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted