1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability: How to prove a function is m.g.f.?

1. Feb 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Question : Prove [itex] \varphi (t) = \sum_{i=0}^{ \infty } a_icos(it) [/itex] is a moment generating function (m.g.f.) and determine its corresponding probability density function (p.d.f.)
    when [itex] \sum_{i=0}^{ \infty } a_i=1 [/itex] holds for [itex] a_i \geq 0 [/itex].

2. Relevant equations

Nothing special.

3. The attempt at a solution

I really don't know what to do with this question, all I know is [itex] \varphi (0) = \sum_i p(x_i) = 1 [/itex] in the discrete case.

For the current one,

[itex] \varphi (0) = \sum_{i=0}^{ \infty } a_i = 1 [/itex]

This is a proof? It cannot be so easy, and how to determine the p.d.f. when its m.g.f. is given?

Thank you in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It says "a" m.g.f., so I presume we get to choose whether it's discrete or continuous. Let's try discrete.
    The given definition of φ(t) cannot be right since it gives a negative second moment. I suspect it should say "characteristic function". This fits with φ(t) being the usual choice for representing a characteristic function, whereas M(t) is standard for an m.g.f. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment-generating_function.
    The choice of i as the index may lead to some confusion. Let's use r instead.
    Putting that aside for now, can you post equations for the nth moment:
    1. In terms of the m.g.f. Treat n even and n odd separately.
    2. In terms of the p.d.f. (pr). Careful with the range for the sum here.

4. Feb 25, 2014 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you sure you copied the problem correctly? If you had "cosh" instead of "cos" there would be a fairly easy solution to the problem of finding a real random variable X with that mgf. However, as haruspex has pointed out the function as written cannot be the mgf (of a real random variable); it could be the mgf of a complex-valued random variable taking values along the imaginary axis.

5. Feb 25, 2014 #4
    1. In terms of the m.g.f. Treat n even and n odd separately.

Because

[itex] \begin{cases} \varphi' (t) = - \sum_{r=0}^{ \infty }a_r r sin(rt)
    \\ \varphi'' (t) =- \sum_{r=0}^{ \infty }a_r r^2 cos(rt)
    \\ \varphi^{(3)} (t) = \sum_{r=0}^{ \infty }a_r r^3 sin(rt)
    \\ \varphi^{(4)} (t) = \sum_{r=0}^{ \infty }a_r r^4 cos(rt)
    \end{cases} [/itex]

Then it repeats except the power of r, hence

[itex] \varphi^{(n)} (t) = \begin{cases} (-1)^{g(n)} \sum_{r=0}^{ \infty }a_r r^n sin(rt) & n \;\; is \;\; odd
    \\ (-1)^{g(n)} \sum_{r=0}^{ \infty }a_r r^n cos(rt) & n \;\; is \;\; even
    \end{cases} [/itex]

where

[itex] g(n) =\begin{cases}1 & if \;\; n\;\; mod\;\; 4 = 1\;\; or\;\; 2
    \\0 & if \;\; n\;\; mod\;\; 4 = 3\;\; or\;\; 0
    \end{cases} [/itex]

Hence

[itex] \varphi^{(n)} (0) = \begin{cases} 0 & n \;\; is \;\; odd
    \\ (-1)^{g(n)} \sum_{r=0}^{ \infty }a_r r^n & n \;\; is \;\; even
    \end{cases} [/itex]

Is this correct?

2. In terms of the p.d.f. (pr).

[itex] E[x^n] = \sum_{x=0}^{ \infty }x^np(x) [/itex]

Then I don’t know what to do next. I tried to compare this with the [itex] \varphi^{(n)} (0) [/itex], but found the minus prevents the [itex] p(x) [/itex] to have a consistent form, what shall I do?

6. Feb 25, 2014 #5
    The problem statement is correct, "cos" has no "h" attached.

Except the statement characteristic function is replaced by m.g.f., because I thought they are same in probability.

Since no textbook on my hands mentioned characteristic function, it's my mistake to change the term.

7. Feb 25, 2014 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Mgfs and characteristic functions are not the same. For a real random variable ##X## the mgf is ##\phi(k) = E \exp(kX)## while the characteristic function is ##\chi(k) = E \exp(i k X)##. In other words, for real ##k## we have ##\chi(k) = \phi(i k)##; here, ##i = \sqrt{-1}##, not a summation index.

You don't need a textbook on hand; Google is your friend.

8. Feb 25, 2014 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Having sorted out the confusion between m.g.f and characteristic function, what does the above change to?
    You mean
    [itex] E[X^n] = \sum_{x=0}^{ \infty }x^np(x) [/itex]
    I said to be careful about the index range here!
    What is E[X], as determined by the characteristic function? What does that suggest about the range of x values?

9. Feb 25, 2014 #8
    [itex] \varphi^{(n)} (t) = \begin{cases} -i \sum_{r=0}^{ \infty }a_r r^n sin(irt) & n \;\; is \;\; odd
    \\ \sum_{r=0}^{ \infty }a_r r^n cos(irt) & n \;\; is \;\; even
    \end{cases} [/itex]

[itex] \varphi^{(n)} (0) = \begin{cases} 0 & n \;\; is \;\; odd
    \\ \sum_{r=0}^{ \infty }a_r r^n & n \;\; is \;\; even
    \end{cases} [/itex]

Since [itex]E(X) = \varphi' (0) = 0 [/itex], X should have a symmetric distribution?

Hence [itex] X \in (- \infty ,+ \infty ) [/itex], then [itex] p(x) = \frac{a_{|x|}}{2} [/itex]

Is this correct?

10. Feb 26, 2014 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you saying ##P(X=0) = a_0##, ##P( X = 1) = P(X = -1) = \frac{1}{2}a_1 ##, ##P(X = 2) = P(X = -2) = \frac{1}{2} a_2,## etc? That would be a correct way of saying it.

11. Feb 26, 2014 #10
    Yes, that is exactly what I mean!

Thank you so much, Ray!

And I still don't know how to prove a function is a characteristic function? Can you tell me how to do that?

12. Feb 26, 2014 #11

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Basically, there is nothing to prove. You have constructed a random variable ##X##, and its characteristic function is the function you were given. End of story.

13. Feb 26, 2014 #12
    Ray, thank you for your reply.

A loop arises and I didn't notice it.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted