Probability of absolute difference

In summary, this conversation discusses the relationship between independent samples from a population and unbiased estimators of a parameter. Using Chebychev's inequality, it is shown that the probability of an estimator differing from the true parameter by a certain amount is bounded by the variance of the estimator divided by that amount squared.
safina

Homework Statement

Let there be m independent samples, each of size n, and are drawn from a population of size N using a design D(S,P). Based on the ith sample i = 1, 2, ..., m, let [tex]\hat{\theta_{i}}[/tex](s) denote an unbiased estimator of [tex]\theta[/tex]. Let [tex]\hat{\theta}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{m}[/tex][tex]\sum^{m}_{i=1}\hat{\theta_{i}}(s)[/tex].
Show that for any [tex]\epsilon[/tex] > 0, P[tex]\left\{[/tex]|[tex]\hat{\theta_{i}}[/tex](s) -[tex]\theta[/tex]| > [tex]\epsilon\right\}[/tex] [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\frac{V[\hat{\theta_{i}}(s)]}{\epsilon^{2}}[/tex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Since \hat{\theta_{i}}(s) is unbiased, we can write E[\hat{\theta_{i}}(s)] = \theta. So, P\left\{|\hat{\theta_{i}}(s) -\theta| > \epsilon\right\} = P\left\{\hat{\theta_{i}}(s) -\theta > \epsilon\right\} + P\left\{\theta - \hat{\theta_{i}}(s) > \epsilon\right\} = P\left\{\hat{\theta_{i}}(s) -E[\hat{\theta_{i}}(s)] > \epsilon\right\} + P\left\{E[\hat{\theta_{i}}(s)] - \hat{\theta_{i}}(s) > \epsilon\right\}= 2P\left\{\hat{\theta_{i}}(s) -E[\hat{\theta_{i}}(s)] > \epsilon\right\}. Now, by Chebychev's Inequality, 2P\left\{\hat{\theta_{i}}(s) -E[\hat{\theta_{i}}(s)] > \epsilon\right\} \leq \frac{2V[\hat{\theta_{i}}(s)]}{\epsilon^{2}}. Therefore,P\left\{|\hat{\theta_{i}}(s) -\theta| > \epsilon\right\} \leq \frac{V[\hat{\theta_{i}}(s)]}{\epsilon^{2}}.

What is the "Probability of absolute difference"?

The probability of absolute difference is a statistical concept that measures the likelihood of the absolute difference between two variables. It is used to determine the probability of observing a specific difference between two variables in a given sample or population.

How is the "Probability of absolute difference" calculated?

The probability of absolute difference is calculated by first finding the absolute difference between two variables, and then using the formula: probability = (absolute difference) / (range of values). This formula is used when the two variables are continuous and follow a normal distribution.

What is the significance of the "Probability of absolute difference"?

The probability of absolute difference is significant because it helps us understand the likelihood of seeing a particular difference between two variables. It can be used to make informed decisions, such as determining the effectiveness of a treatment or predicting future outcomes.

Can the "Probability of absolute difference" be negative?

No, the probability of absolute difference cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it measures the likelihood of a difference occurring regardless of the direction of the difference.

How does sample size affect the "Probability of absolute difference"?

The sample size can affect the probability of absolute difference as a larger sample size typically leads to a more accurate estimate of the true difference between two variables. This means that the probability of absolute difference will be more precise with a larger sample size, and less precise with a smaller sample size.