Probability of photon emission from quantum dot

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a quantum dot absorbing and reemitting photons, and the probability of the emitted photon having a wavelength greater than the absorbed photon's wavelength. It is mentioned that the distribution of the emitted photons is likely Lorentzian or Gaussian, and that the answer may depend on various factors. The conversation also touches on the Schrodinger equation and the overlap of wavefunctions in determining the emission spectrum.
shirashi
Hi guys, I am looking for a formula which I am sure exits but I cannot locate it. The problem is that a quantum dot absorbs a photon of wavelength λ0(dot is semiconductor or could be any other material). Assuming that it reemits a photon, what is the probability that this emitted photon will have a wavelength λ. Of course if λ<λ0 then the probability is zero, but what kind of distribution does it have for λ>λ0 ?

I am sure this is a very standard problem and the formula exits, I would be glad if someone can help me find out a reference for this.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect the answer will depend on many factors.
In the simplest case you could presumably think of this as a two-level problem where you have a ground state and an excited state with some lifetime T. The lineshape should therefore -in most cases- be Lorentzian so that should also be the energy distribution of the photons.
If you are talking about a real dot and need to start worrying about conservation rules etc it will get messy quite quickly, but the above should be a good approximation.

I would think that the distribution would be a Lorentzian. And I will elaborate further on the probability of its emission

shirashi said:
Hi guys, I am looking for a formula which I am sure exits but I cannot locate it.The problem is that a quantum dot absorbs a photon of wavelength λ0(dot is semiconductor or could be any other material). Assuming that it reemits a photon, what is the probability that this emitted photon will have a wavelength λ. Of course if λ<λ0 then the probability is zero, but what kind of distribution does it have for λ>λ0 ?

I am sure this is a very standard problem and the formula exits, I would be glad if someone can help me find out a reference for this.

Thanks
The distribution should be a Lorentzian. The probabil
shirashi said:
Hi guys, I am looking for a formula which I am sure exits but I cannot locate it.The problem is that a quantum dot absorbs a photon of wavelength λ0(dot is semiconductor or could be any other material). Assuming that it reemits a photon, what is the probability that this emitted photon will have a wavelength λ. Of course if λ<λ0 then the probability is zero, but what kind of distribution does it have for λ>λ0 ?

Thanks
The spectrum should be a Lorentzian, meaning that it is uniformely distributed. For the wavelength, wouldn't it be related to the probability of obtaining certain eigenvalues? If this statement is correct, you would have to solve the Schrodinger equation.
meanthatitiu

f95toli said:
I suspect the answer will depend on many factors.
In the simplest case you could presumably think of this as a two-level problem where you have a ground state and an excited state with some lifetime T. The lineshape should therefore -in most cases- be Lorentzian so that should also be the energy distribution of the photons.
If you are talking about a real dot and need to start worrying about conservation rules etc it will get messy quite quickly, but the above should be a good approximation.
I think the above statement is way more complex than needs to describe the wavelength propability of the quantum dot. Wouldn't it be ideal to just use the Schrodinger equation?

bluejay27 said:
The spectrum should be a Lorentzian, meaning that it is uniformely distributed.

What do you mean by uniformly distributed? A Lorentzian distribution is very different from a uniform distribution.

Also, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_dot#Optical_properties for graphs of the emission spectra of real quantum dots. They are not Lorentzian.

Likes bluejay27
Ygggdrasil said:
What do you mean by uniformly distributed? A Lorentzian distribution is very different from a uniform distribution.

Also, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_dot#Optical_properties for graphs of the emission spectra of real quantum dots. They are not Lorentzian.
You are right. I got confused with something being homogeneously broadened (Lorentzian) as normally distributed. The spectra is a gaussian, which is normally distributed.

bluejay27 said:
You are right. I got confused with something being homogeneously broadened (Lorentzian) as normally distributed. The spectra is a gaussian, which is normally distributed.

They are not exactly Gaussian either as you can see some appear to be asymmetric. The structure of the spectra are likely defined by the how much the wavefunction of the conduction band overlaps with the wavefunction of the different bands in the valence band. A more detailed answer would require a more detailed understanding of solid-state physics, and I don't remember much from when I studied that.

Likes bluejay27
bluejay27 said:

Ygggdrasil said:
They are not exactly Gaussian either as you can see some appear to be asymmetric. The structure of the spectra are likely defined by the how much the wavefunction of the conduction band overlaps with the wavefunction of the different bands in the valence band. A more detailed answer would require a more detailed understanding of solid-state physics, and I don't remember much from when I studied that.
I haven't checked myself, but to say whether the spectra are Gaussian, Lorentzian or neither one should look at the spectrum as a function of frequency not wavelength which is used in the Wikipedia link.

Ygggdrasil said:
I obtain the Gaussian curve info from here (number 7). Let me know what you think about it.

Attachments

• lumidot_faqs.pdf
    183.1 KB · Views: 677
blue_leaf77 said:
I haven't checked myself, but to say whether the spectra are Gaussian, Lorentzian or neither one should look at the spectrum as a function of frequency not wavelength which is used in the Wikipedia link.
What's the reasoning behind it?

bluejay27 said:
What's the reasoning behind it?
A custom. Probably that's because the spectrum is the Fourier transform of field in time domain. This means if you apply FT on ##E(t)## you will get ##\tilde{E}(\omega)##, the spectrum. Of course you can simply use the relation ##\omega = 2\pi/\lambda## to get ##\tilde{E}(\lambda)## but this function will generally have different form than ##\tilde{E}(\omega)##. In some cases where the bandwidth is much smaller than the central wavelength, Gaussian ##\tilde{E}(\omega)## will approximately result in Gaussian ##\tilde{E}(\lambda)##.

1. What is a quantum dot and how does it relate to photon emission?

A quantum dot is a tiny semiconductor particle with unique optical and electronic properties. When excited by an external energy source, such as light or electricity, it can emit photons (particles of light) with specific wavelengths based on its size and composition. This makes it useful for applications such as LEDs, solar cells, and quantum computing.

2. How is the probability of photon emission determined in a quantum dot?

The probability of photon emission from a quantum dot is determined by the quantum dot's energy levels and the energy of the external excitation. When the energy of the excitation matches the energy difference between two energy levels in the quantum dot, there is a high probability of photon emission. This probability can also be affected by factors such as the temperature and the presence of other nearby quantum dots.

3. What factors can affect the probability of photon emission from a quantum dot?

Several factors can affect the probability of photon emission from a quantum dot. These include the size and composition of the quantum dot, the energy of the excitation, the temperature, and the presence of other quantum dots or external electric or magnetic fields. All of these factors can influence the energy levels within the quantum dot, thereby affecting the probability of photon emission.

4. How does the probability of photon emission change for different types of quantum dots?

The probability of photon emission can vary depending on the type of quantum dot. Different sizes and compositions of quantum dots can have different energy levels, which in turn can affect the probability of photon emission. Additionally, the type of excitation used can also impact the probability of photon emission. For example, a quantum dot excited by electricity may have a different emission probability than one excited by light.

5. Can the probability of photon emission from a quantum dot be controlled?

Yes, the probability of photon emission from a quantum dot can be controlled by manipulating the factors that affect it. For example, by changing the size or composition of the quantum dot, or by adjusting the energy of the external excitation, one can alter the energy levels within the quantum dot and therefore change the probability of photon emission. This level of control is what makes quantum dots useful for various applications in optics and electronics.