Probability question I can't work out

In summary, the conversation is about a question on conditional probability and the new event C defined as occurring when exactly one of A or B occur. The question asks to show, algebraically and using probability axioms and properties, that the probability of C is equal to the sum of the probabilities of A and B minus twice the probability of the intersection of A and B. The speaker is seeking help in solving this question.
star01
Hey

I've just joined here and I'm doing some revision on conditional probability. This one question, which I know should be simple, has me stumped. I've tried what I can think of but I can't seem to get it right. Any help anyone may have would be very much appreciated.

Suppose A and B are events and de ne the new event C to occur if and only if
exactly one of A or B occur. Show algebraically, using only the probability axioms and
properties, and basic set-theoretic results given in the lectures, that
Pr(C) = Pr(A) + Pr(B) - 2Pr(A n B)

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
C=(A-B) or (B-A), which are mutually exclusive events.. Evaluate probabilities to get result.

Related to Probability question I can't work out

1. What is the definition of probability?

Probability is the measure of the likelihood that an event will occur. It is typically expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How do you calculate probability?

To calculate probability, you divide the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented by the formula P(A) = # of favorable outcomes / # of possible outcomes.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual data collected from experiments or observations.

4. What is the relationship between probability and statistics?

Probability is a branch of mathematics that deals with the likelihood of events occurring. Statistics, on the other hand, is a branch of mathematics that deals with collecting, analyzing, and interpreting data. Probability is used in statistics to make predictions and draw conclusions from data.

5. How can probability be used in real life?

Probability is used in many real-life situations, such as predicting weather patterns, gambling, insurance, and risk analysis. It is also used in scientific studies to determine the likelihood of certain outcomes and in decision-making processes.