1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability Question

1. Nov 28, 2006 #1
    I have the following problem for one of my classes:

A box contains four balls, numbered 1 through 4. One ball is selected at random from this box.
    Let X1=1 if ball number 1 or ball number 2 is drawn.
    Let X2=1 if ball number 1 or ball number 3 is drawn.
    Let X3=1 if ball number 1 or ball number 4 is drawn.
    The Xi values are zero otherwise. Show that any two of the random variables X1, X2, X3 are independent but that the three together are not.

I was able to show that any two of X1, X2, X3 are independent according to the following definition:
    p(Y1, Y2)=p(Y1)p(Y2).
    I did the following work:
    I said that for just two random variables there are sixteen combinations. Also the p(X1)=p(X2)=p(x3)=0.50.
    Thus, for (X1, X2)
    p(X1, X2)=p(X1)p(X2)
    p(X1, X2)=p(1,1)+p(1,3)+p(2,1)+p(2,3)
    Since there are sixteen combinations, each individual one has probability of 1/16. Therefore, p(X1, X2)=0.25, which is equal to p(X1)*p(X2) since each of these are 0.5. I followed this same pattern for all combinations of random variables and they all worked. Thus, I concluded that any two of the random variables are independent.

However, I did the same thing for all three and got that they should be independent:
    There are 64 combinations with 3 random variables.
    P(X1, X2, X3) just quick appears to equal 8/64=1/8.
    But so does p(X1)*p(X2)*p(X3) since (0.5)^3=1/8.
    I should be able to conclude that all three of them are NOT independent, but I can't using my method.

Where is my mistake?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?