Probability Questions and others ?

• Thread starter ngkamsengpeter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the first equation is the equation for the line that is inclined at a 45 degree angle with the x-axis and the second equation is the equation for the line that is passing through point (-1,4). The two lines have a certain angle with each other.
ngkamsengpeter
Please help me to solve the following questions :
1. Find the equations of both the straight lines that are nclined at an angle of 45 degree with straight line 2x+y-3=0 and passing through point (-1,4)

2. S denotes the sum of first n terms of a geometric series 3 - 1 + 1/3 -... and I denotes the sum of infinity of this series.Find the smallest n such that |I-S|<0.0001

3. The number of accidents that occur on an assembly line has a Poisson distribution with a mean of 3 accidents a year . Find the probability that one randomly chosen year is free from accident and the probability that 2 years out of 5 years chosen at random are free from accidents .

4 .Continuous random variable X has the following probability density function:
f(x)={ 1/8 0<x<9;
0 otherwise
Continuous random variable Y is defined by Y=In X .show that P(Y<y)=1/8
Thanks .:!)

Physics news on Phys.org
You are going to have to show some work of your own. People aren't just going to give you the answers. To help you we have to know where you are having problems. Also there may be several different methods of solving equations appropriate to different levels.

ngkamsengpeter said:
Please help me to solve the following questions :
1. Find the equations of both the straight lines that are nclined at an angle of 45 degree with straight line 2x+y-3=0 and passing through point (-1,4)
Do you know how to find the angle the line 2x+ y- 3= 0 makes with the x-axis?

2. S denotes the sum of first n terms of a geometric series 3 - 1 + 1/3 -... and I denotes the sum of infinity of this series.Find the smallest n such that |I-S|<0.0001
Do you know the formula for the finite and infinite sums of a geometric series? In particular, what is I?

3. The number of accidents that occur on an assembly line has a Poisson distribution with a mean of 3 accidents a year . Find the probability that one randomly chosen year is free from accident and the probability that 2 years out of 5 years chosen at random are free from accidents .
Okay, what is the formula for probability of a Poisson distribution?

f(x)={ 1/8 0<x<9;
0 otherwise
Continuous random variable Y is defined by Y=In X .show that P(Y<y)=1/8
Thanks .:!)
First, I have no idea what you mean by "In X". Could you mean the natural logarithm, ln(X)? Second, f(x) can't possibly be what you give. If it were, the total probability of x being anything would be 9/8 which is impossible- it's larger than 1. Do you mean "f(x)= 1/8 0< x< 8, 0 otherwise"? Finally, I don't believe "P(Y< y)= 1/8" is correct. P(Y< y) will be a function of y. Is it possible you meant P(Y< 0)= 1/8?

HallsofIvy said:
You are going to have to show some work of your own. People aren't just going to give you the answers. To help you we have to know where you are having problems. Also there may be several different methods of solving equations appropriate to different levels.

Do you know how to find the angle the line 2x+ y- 3= 0 makes with the x-axis?

Do you know the formula for the finite and infinite sums of a geometric series? In particular, what is I?

Okay, what is the formula for probability of a Poisson distribution?

First, I have no idea what you mean by "In X". Could you mean the natural logarithm, ln(X)? Second, f(x) can't possibly be what you give. If it were, the total probability of x being anything would be 9/8 which is impossible- it's larger than 1. Do you mean "f(x)= 1/8 0< x< 8, 0 otherwise"? Finally, I don't believe "P(Y< y)= 1/8" is correct. P(Y< y) will be a function of y. Is it possible you meant P(Y< 0)= 1/8?
I have no idea howto start with questions 1 .

For question 2 , i do know the formulae but when I do it , it become very complicated . The I is the infinite sums of a geometric series .

For question 3 , I can do the first section but I don't know how to do the second section.
For question 4 , is is the natural logarithm, ln(X) , f(x)= 1/8 0< x< 8, and
P(Y< y)= 1/8 (e^y -1) .I also cannot solve this one .

So please help me .

ngkamsengpeter said:
The slope of the graph of the equation y= mx+ b is m and that is equal to the tangent of the angle the line makes with the x-axis: [itex]tan(\theta)= m[/itex]. What is the slope for your line and what is the angle?
Also
[tex]tan(\theta+ \phi)= \frac{tan(\theta)+ tan(\phi)}{1- tan(\theta)tan(\phi)}[/tex]
In particular, tan(45 degrees)= 1 so
[tex]tan(\theta+ 45)= \frac{1+ tan(\theta)}{1- tan(\theta)}[/tex]
while
[tex]tan(\theta- 45)= \frac{-1+ tan(\theta)}{1+ tan(\theta)}[/tex]

For the geometric series a+ ar+ ar2+ ...+ arn the sum to the n term is
[tex]S= a\frac{1- r^{n+1}}{1- r}[/tex]
and the infinite sum is
[tex]I= a\frac{1}{1- r}[/tex]
How complicated could that be? What are a and r for your example and what is I?

I'm glad to hear that you can do the first part, finding the probability that there are no accidents in a given year- I'll call that p. To find the probability that there are no accident in 2 of 5 given years, use the binomial distribution with probabilities p and 1- p.

f(x)={ 1/8 0<x<8;
0 otherwise
Continuous random variable Y is defined by Y=ln X .show that P(Y<y)=1/8 (e^y -1)
I'm glad we've got that clarified! If Y= lnX then X= eY. In particular, if Y< y then (since exponential is an increasing function) X< ey. You know, I presume, that with probability density as given,
[tex]P(X< x)= \int_0^x \frac{1}{8}dt[/tex]
as long as x< 8, 1, if x>= 8.

What is P(X< ey)?

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
The slope of the graph of the equation y= mx+ b is m and that is equal to the tangent of the angle the line makes with the x-axis: [itex]tan(\theta)= m[/itex]. What is the slope for your line and what is the angle?
Also
[tex]tan(\theta+ \phi)= \frac{tan(\theta)+ tan(\phi)}{1- tan(\theta)tan(\phi)}[/tex]
In particular, tan(45 degrees)= 1 so
[tex]tan(\theta+ 45)= \frac{1+ tan(\theta)}{1- tan(\theta)}[/tex]
while
[tex]tan(\theta- 45)= \frac{-1+ tan(\theta)}{1+ tan(\theta)}[/tex]

For the geometric series a+ ar+ ar2+ ...+ arn the sum to the n term is
[tex]S= a\frac{1- r^{n+1}}{1- r}[/tex]
and the infinite sum is
[tex]I= a\frac{1}{1- r}[/tex]
How complicated could that be? What are a and r for your example and what is I?

I'm glad to hear that you can do the first part, finding the probability that there are no accidents in a given year- I'll call that p. To find the probability that there are no accident in 2 of 5 given years, use the binomial distribution with probabilities p and 1- p.

I'm glad we've got that clarified! If Y= lnX then X= eY. In particular, if Y< y then (since exponential is an increasing function) X< ey. You know, I presume, that with probability density as given,
[tex]P(X< x)= \int_0^x \frac{1}{8}dt[/tex]
as long as x< 8, 1, if x>= 8.

What is P(X< ey)?

For question 2 , due to its modulus , it should become -(I-s)<0.0001<I-s
and this is the complexity I am facing .

For question 3 . If the probability for first section is P(A),then the answer for second section is ( P(A) )^2 X (1 - P(A) )^3 X 5C2 ,is it right ?

For question 4 , do you mean that we can find the answer by finding the answer for P(X<e^y) ? We integrate from 0 to e^y right ?

why no reply yet ?

ngkamsengpeter said:
For question 2 , due to its modulus , it should become -(I-s)<0.0001<I-s
and this is the complexity I am facing .[\quote]
Once again, what is I? After you know that, just do the arithmetic- calculate so for several different values of n.

For question 3 . If the probability for first section is P(A),then the answer for second section is ( P(A) )^2 X (1 - P(A) )^3 X 5C2 ,is it right ?
Yes. You said you had already calculated P(A).

For question 4 , do you mean that we can find the answer by finding the answer for P(X<e^y) ? We integrate from 0 to e^y right ?
Yex, if X= ln Y, then Y= ex.

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood or chance of an event occurring. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How do you calculate probability?

To calculate probability, you divide the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented as P(event) = number of favorable outcomes / total number of outcomes.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual experiments or observations and may differ from theoretical probability due to chance or other factors.

4. How is probability used in real life?

Probability is used in many real-life situations, such as predicting the weather, determining the chances of winning a game, or making financial decisions. It is also used in scientific research, risk assessment, and decision-making processes.

5. What is the difference between independent and dependent events?

Independent events are those where the outcome of one event does not affect the outcome of another event. Dependent events are those where the outcome of one event does affect the outcome of another event. For example, flipping a coin is an independent event, while drawing two cards from a deck without replacement is a dependent event.