Probing high speed digital circuits

In summary, the logic analyzer probe head should have a high-impedance adapter module to prevent reflections and signal interference. The Tek TLA5204B with P6410 probe has a 2pF // 20kOhms equivalent circuit, which should not significantly load the bus signals. To minimize any potential interference, it is important to keep the connections between the bus and probe short.
likephysics
I have a 100MHz bus going from CPU to Memory. The routing length is about 2inches. So there is no termination.
When I hook up the bus to a Logic analyzer, how do I know the Logic analyzer probes are not causing any reflection and messing up the bus signals. The length of the probe is about 40inches(1meter).
The probes are connected to wires(~4inches) that are soldered to the bus traces on the PCB.
What would be the right way to probe these signals.

Engineering news on Phys.org
likephysics said:
I have a 100MHz bus going from CPU to Memory. The routing length is about 2inches. So there is no termination.
When I hook up the bus to a Logic analyzer, how do I know the Logic analyzer probes are not causing any reflection and messing up the bus signals. The length of the probe is about 40inches(1meter).
The probes are connected to wires(~4inches) that are soldered to the bus traces on the PCB.
What would be the right way to probe these signals.

The logic analyzer probe head should have a high-impedance adapter thing. What logic analyzer are you using? What adapter modules are available for it? For the old HP 16500 logic analyzers that we have in the lab, the adapter modules are 01650-63201 (or -63203):

http://www.nationaltestequipment.com/unitDetails.cfm?modelID=8805

Last edited by a moderator:
We are using the tek TLA5204B
The probe is P6410
http://www.tek.com/products/logic_analyzers/tla5000/

The P6410 manual at the Tek website shows the equivalent circuit for the probe points as 2pF // 20kOhms. That should not load your bus signals too much. Be sure to keep the connections short between the bus and the probe.

1. What is the purpose of probing high speed digital circuits?

The purpose of probing high speed digital circuits is to measure and analyze the electrical signals and data passing through the circuit. This helps in understanding the behavior and performance of the circuit, identifying any potential issues, and making necessary improvements for optimal functioning.

2. What tools are used for probing high speed digital circuits?

The most commonly used tools for probing high speed digital circuits include oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, and signal generators. These tools allow for precise and accurate measurement of signals at different points in the circuit.

3. How can I choose the right probe for my high speed digital circuit?

The right probe for a high speed digital circuit depends on various factors such as the type of circuit, frequency of signals, and the required level of accuracy. It is important to consider the bandwidth, rise time, and impedance of the probe before making a choice.

4. What are some common challenges in probing high speed digital circuits?

Some common challenges in probing high speed digital circuits include signal reflections, noise, and impedance mismatch. These can lead to inaccurate measurements and affect the performance of the circuit. Proper grounding and shielding techniques can help overcome these challenges.

5. How can I ensure accurate probe measurements for my high speed digital circuit?

To ensure accurate probe measurements, it is important to use high quality probes and proper probing techniques. This includes maintaining proper ground connections, minimizing the length of the probe leads, and using appropriate termination methods. It is also helpful to perform calibration and verification of the probes regularly.