Problem 3.6-20 pg 96 intro to electric circuits dorf 7th edition

In summary, the problem statement for Problem 3.6-20 on page 96 in the 7th edition of "Intro to Electric Circuits" by Dorf is to find the voltage across a 5 ohm resistor in a circuit with a 10V voltage source and a 3 ohm resistor in series, and a 4 ohm resistor in parallel with the 3 ohm resistor. The first step in solving this problem is to redraw the circuit, simplifying it by combining the parallel resistors into one equivalent resistor. To find the equivalent resistance, we use the formula 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn. After finding the equivalent resistance,
seg44444
I have done the equation from this textbook, but I have no way to get the exact answers to confirm my answers. I really don't need to know how to get the answers. I just need answers to confirm them with. If you can show how to get it that is fine as well

Physics news on Phys.org
Post your question and the answers you got and we can check it for you. But don't expect any more help if you didn't post your working as well.

It'd be even better if we had some clue as to what the actual question is...

1. What is the problem statement for Problem 3.6-20 on page 96 in the 7th edition of "Intro to Electric Circuits" by Dorf?

The problem statement asks to find the voltage across a 5 ohm resistor in a circuit with a 10V voltage source and a 3 ohm resistor in series, and a 4 ohm resistor in parallel with the 3 ohm resistor.

2. What is the first step in solving this problem?

The first step is to redraw the circuit, simplifying it by combining the parallel resistors into one equivalent resistor.

3. How do we find the equivalent resistance for the parallel resistors?

We use the formula 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn, where Req is the equivalent resistance and R1 to Rn are the individual resistances in parallel.

4. What is the next step after finding the equivalent resistance?

The next step is to use Ohm's law, V = IR, to find the current flowing through the circuit.

5. How do we find the voltage across the 5 ohm resistor?

Using Ohm's law again, we can find the voltage across the 5 ohm resistor by multiplying the current found in the previous step with the resistance of the 5 ohm resistor.