Problem about angular momentum

In summary, the angular momentum operators form the Lie algebra of SO(3) and you can construct a reprsentation of SO(3) acting on functions on a spherical shell by the obvious action on that function space. This representation can be split into irreps of SO(3) and it turns out that it actually contains a single copy of each SO(3) irrep, which can be labelled by the total angular momentum, or ##\ell##. You can go further on and restrict your symmetry to a single SO(2) rotation (typically chosen to be about the z axis), which splits irrep ##\ell## of SO(3) into ##2\ell+1## one-dimensional irreps (they
Kjjm
Homework Statement
Prove that 〈Lx〉 = 〈Ly〉 = 0 for the spherical harmonics
Y1 = [ (3/8𝜋)^1/2 ]* sin 𝜃 * 𝑒^𝑖𝜙 and
Y2 = [(15/32𝜋)^1/2]*[( sin𝜃 )^2 ]* 𝑒^2𝑖𝜙
This result generally holds for any other rotational states.
Relevant Equations
None
None

Physics news on Phys.org
You will need to show effort in order for help to be given.

It is not clear to me how a spherical harmonic (per Wikipedia, functions over a spherical shell which are orthogonal in some sense) is relevant to angular momentum.

Last edited:
jbriggs444 said:
You will need to show effort in order for help to be given.

It is not clear to me how a spherical harmonic (per Wipedia, functions over a spherical shell which are orthogonal in some sense) is relevant to angular momentum.
They are eigenfunctions of the QM angular momentum operators. Conventionally, ##L^2## and ##L_z##.

Likes jbriggs444
Our rules require you to show us your work before we offer help.

Sorry. I am not good at english. so i worked it so hard, but i can’t write much about it. Its my fault. Sorry

jbriggs444 said:
It is not clear to me how a spherical harmonic (per Wipedia, functions over a spherical shell which are orthogonal in some sense) is relevant to angular momentum.
Let me add to what @PeroK said:

The angular momentum operators generally form the Lie algebra of SO(3) and you can construct a reprsentation of SO(3) acting on functions on a spherical shell by the obvious action on that function space.

Now, this representation can be split into irreps of SO(3) and it turns out that it actually contains a single copy of each SO(3) irrep, which can be labelled by the total angular momentum, or ##\ell##. You can go further on and restrict your symmetry to a single SO(2) rotation (typically chosen to be about the z axis), which splits irrep ##\ell## of SO(3) into ##2\ell+1## one-dimensional irreps (they have to be one-dimensional as SO(2) is Abelian) of SO(2). These irreps are still functions on the sphere with particular properties, namely the spherical harmonics. The connection to angular momentum is through the role of angular momentum as the generator of rotations (just as linear momentum generates translations), i.e., the symmetry group involved.

Kjjm said:
Sorry. I am not good at english. so i worked it so hard, but i can’t write much about it. Its my fault. Sorry
First thing to do is tell us what you have learned to use as operators Lx and Ly .
Then what you should do to find <Lx> and idem y.
All this under the heading: Homework equations:
It's there for a good reason !

Related to Problem about angular momentum

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum conserved?

According to the law of conservation of angular momentum, the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless an external torque is applied. This means that in a closed system, the initial angular momentum will be equal to the final angular momentum.

3. What are the units of angular momentum?

The SI unit for angular momentum is kilogram-meter squared per second (kg·m^2/s). However, other units such as gram-centimeter squared per second (g·cm^2/s) or ounce-inch squared per second (oz·in^2/s) may also be used.

4. How does angular momentum affect rotational motion?

Angular momentum plays a crucial role in rotational motion. It determines the speed at which an object rotates and how much torque is required to change its rotational motion. Objects with a larger angular momentum will require more torque to change their rotation compared to objects with a smaller angular momentum.

5. Can angular momentum be negative?

Yes, angular momentum can have a negative value. This occurs when the direction of the angular velocity and moment of inertia are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative scalar value for angular momentum. This does not affect the conservation of angular momentum, as the total magnitude will still remain constant.