Problem about the derivative of an unknown function

In summary: I already edited it.Well, for what it's worth, ##f(0,0)## = 0 from either of your equations given about ##f##, putting ##t=0##.After looking a bit more carefully at your problem, here's another hint. If you have ##f(x,y)## and you want to know the rate of change along a path ##\vec R(t) = \langle x(t), y(t)\rangle##, have you seen the formula$$\frac{df}{dt} = \nabla f \cdot \frac{d \vec R}{dt}\text{ ?}$$Yes, I've seen it and used it before. And yes, that's
Granger

Homework Statement

$$f:\mathbb{R^2}\to\mathbb{R}$$ a differentiable function in the origin so:

$$f(t,t) =t^3+t$$ and $$f(t,-2t)=2t$$

Calculate $$D_vf(0,0)$$

$$v=(1,3)$$

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]

I have no idea on how to approach this problem.
I know that because f is differentiable we have

$$D_vf(0,0)= Df(0,0)v$$

So I should be able to determine the partial derivatives. But how can I do it?

My biggest obstacle is not knowing the value of $$f(0,0)$$ (and therefore not being able to take limit definition of partial derivative)

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, for what it's worth, ##f(0,0)## = 0 from either of your equations given about ##f##, putting ##t=0##.

After looking a bit more carefully at your problem, here's another hint. If you have ##f(x,y)## and you want to know the rate of change along a path ##\vec R(t) = \langle x(t), y(t)\rangle##, have you seen the formula$$
\frac{df}{dt} = \nabla f \cdot \frac{d \vec R}{dt}\text{ ?}$$

LCKurtz said:
After looking a bit more carefully at your problem, here's another hint. If you have ##f(x,y)## and you want to know the rate of change along a path ##\vec R(t) = \langle x(t), y(t)\rangle##, have you seen the formula$$
\frac{df}{dt} = \nabla f \cdot \frac{d \vec R}{dt}\text{ ?}$$

Is what you mean equivalent to the derivative of a composition of functions?

I think I got it. What I did was to differentiate both the equations given obtaining:

$$\frac{df}{dx}(t,t) + \frac{df}{dy}(t,t) = 3t^2+1$$

$$\frac{df}{dx}(t,-2t) -2 \frac{df}{dy}(t,-2t) = 2$$

Then making t=0:
$$\frac{df}{dx}(0,0) + \frac{df}{dy}(0,0) = 1$$

$$\frac{df}{dx}(0,0) -2 \frac{df}{dy}(0,0) = 2$$

Solving this system we obtain the partial derivatives of f in the point (0,0).

Last edited:
Granger said:
Is what you mean equivalent to the derivative of a composition of functions?

I think I got it. What I did was to differentiate both the equations given obtaining:

$$\frac{df}{dx}(t,t) \color{red}{\bf +}\frac{df}{dy}(t,t) = 3t^2+1$$

$$\frac{df}{dx}(t,-2t) -2 \frac{df}{dy}(t,-2t) = 2$$
Aren't you missing a plus sign that I inserted above? Other than that it should work.

LCKurtz said:
Aren't you missing a plus sign that I inserted above? Other than that it should work.

Yes, thanks!

1. What is the derivative of an unknown function?

The derivative of an unknown function is the rate at which the function is changing at a given point. It represents the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point.

2. Why is it important to find the derivative of an unknown function?

Finding the derivative of an unknown function is important because it allows us to determine the behavior and characteristics of the function. It can help us find the maximum and minimum values, inflection points, and the direction in which the function is increasing or decreasing.

3. How can I find the derivative of an unknown function?

To find the derivative of an unknown function, you can use the rules of differentiation such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. You can also use the definition of the derivative, which is the limit of the difference quotient.

4. What are some real-life applications of finding the derivative of an unknown function?

The derivative of an unknown function has various applications in different fields of science and engineering. It is used to determine the speed and acceleration of moving objects, the rate of change in natural processes such as population growth and radioactive decay, and the optimization of functions in economics and business.

5. Can the derivative of an unknown function be negative?

Yes, the derivative of an unknown function can be negative. This means that the function is decreasing at that point and the slope of its tangent line is negative. It can also indicate a concave down shape of the function.