Problem loading Windows XP SP3

• Thread starter Doc Al
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary: Reboot in safe mode and then try the update again.In summary, after downloading and installing Subinacl.exe and running the script, I was unsuccessful in installing SP3. However, I believe that rebooting after running the script is a good idea. McAfee, Spybot, and Windows Defender may be running, so it is good to check for updates.
Doc Al
Mentor
I've been trying to load Service Pack 3 (SP3) onto a desktop running Windows XP Home edition without success. I've tried every trick I could find (such as the workarounds suggested by MS), but after it crunches for an hour I keep getting an "Access Denied" message.

Any ideas?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Doc:

Check out this KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

I hope that helps!

Thanks, technutz, but I've tried those already without success. :frown: (Those were the "MS workarounds" that I mentioned in my first post.)

What anti-virus and anti-spyware program are you using?

Here is what I would try next:
- Update your anti-virus & anti-spyware software and do a complete scan in normal mode and then again in safe mode looking for evil-ware. (this is just a sanity check for evil doers)
- Clear your temp files (this clears junk out)
- Run a CheckDisk and Defrag (this fixes damaged or corrupted files)
- Reboot and temporally disable your anti-virus and anti-spyware and try the SP3 update again.(this turns off apps that may be protecting files that MS needs to update)
- Re-enable your anti-virus and anti-spyware software after update or if it fails again.
(turn your protection back on)

If it fails again check with your computer vendor like Dell or HP for hardware driver updates like video, network, audio, etc. Some vendors offer online chat and can direct you to the file locations on their web sites. (there are known issues with certain vendors like ATI video drivers that have issues with the SP3)

Once your driver updates are done, then disable anti-virus and anti-spyware and try the update again. (again just to give MS access to files)

I hope that helps! :)

technutz said:
What anti-virus and anti-spyware program are you using?
McAfee, Spybot, & Windows Defender are running.

I'll give your suggestions a shot. Thanks!

:smile:

Actually, someone pointed out to me that I might have messed up the MS workaround. (Step 3 in the MS link you posted, modifying the registry.)

After I downloaded and installed Subinacl.exe, and ran the script (which took a while and gave a bunch of errors), I tried installing SP3 (as per MS instructions) without success. But shouldn't I reboot first (after running the script) before attempting to install SP3, otherwise those registry changes would not be in effect, right? (He also suggested I reboot in safe mode, then try the install again.)

What you think about that?

Yes it is always wise to reboot after an update as some of the updating does not complete until after a reboot due to certain system files being locked. The reboot clears the file lock allowing other updates to complete. Running the script is safe mode is not a bad idea. However I do not believe that doing the SP3 update in safe mode will work due to some of the system calls it is doing. All you might try the MS support link too with McAfee, Spybot and Defender disabled too. I do assume that you are logon with Admin rights doing the updates.

Give the it a try and see it that resolve the issue. :)

Related to Problem loading Windows XP SP3

1. Why am I getting a "Problem loading Windows XP SP3" message?

The "Problem loading Windows XP SP3" message occurs when there are issues with the installation of Service Pack 3 for Windows XP. This could be due to corrupted files, conflicting software, or hardware issues.

2. How do I fix the "Problem loading Windows XP SP3" issue?

To fix this issue, you can try restarting your computer and attempting the installation again. If that does not work, you can try downloading the Service Pack 3 files from a different source and installing it. If the problem persists, you may need to consult a computer technician for further assistance.

3. Will my computer still function without Windows XP SP3 installed?

Yes, your computer will still function without Windows XP SP3 installed. However, it is recommended to have the latest service pack installed for security and performance reasons.

4. Can I uninstall Windows XP SP3?

Yes, you can uninstall Windows XP SP3 by going to the "Add or Remove Programs" section in the Control Panel. However, this may cause issues with your computer's stability and security, so it is not recommended unless absolutely necessary.

5. Is there a way to prevent "Problem loading Windows XP SP3" from happening in the future?

To prevent this issue, make sure to regularly update your computer with the latest service packs and security patches. It is also important to have a reliable antivirus program installed to prevent any conflicts or issues during installation.