Problem - need direction

• Thread starter Saffire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Direction
In summary, the problem is to determine the minimum current 'i' required to prevent a wooden cylinder with mass m = 0.25 kg and length L = 0.7 m, wrapped with N = 20 turns of wire, from rolling down a plane inclined at an angle theta to the horizontal, in the presence of a vertical, uniform magnetic field of 0.75 T. The key is to balance the forces, with the lorentz force and the part of gravity that makes the cylinder roll being equal. The rest of the gravital force and lorentz force will produce a normal force. The formula for the lorentz force involves cosine, as does the formula for the gravitational force. L and N have
Saffire
Problem -- need direction

Hey all, I just need a lil prodding in the right direction, I'm not totally sure where to start on this problem.

Figure 29.38 shows a wooden cylinder with mass m = .25 kg and length L = .7 m, with N = 20 turns of wire wrapped around it longitudinally, so that the plane of the wire coil contains the axis of the cylinder. What is the least current 'i' through the coil that will prevent the cylinder from rolling down a plane inclined at an angle theta to the horizontal, in the presence of a vertical, uniform magnetic field of 0.75 T, if the plane of the windings is parallel to the inclined plane?

Don't have a picture, but Fig 29.38 has a wooden cylinder on a slope, with the attributes as above.

I'm trying to balance the equation out, but I'm getting nowhere as I'm neglecting length L and N turns. I figure net force/torque should be 0, but I can't get anywhere from that.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am no expert at this since it's been 8 months since I last had magnetism, but I'll try to help.
The sum of the forces must be 0. First, we need the part of the gravity that makes the cilinder roll, being cosinus(90-theta). This must equal the lorentz force. The magnetic field is uniform, and produces a force of which, again, only the portion pointing up the slope counts.
The rest of the gravital force and lorentz force will push onto the slope and produce a normal force in return. Not sure if you americans call it thesame.
So the Lorentz force has a formula (dont forget the cosinus), you know the gravital force (dont forget the cosinus), make the equation and do the math! I believe L and N both have an effect on the lorentz force but I might be wrong.

Good luck!

Hey there,

It sounds like you're on the right track by trying to balance the equation and considering the net force/torque. One approach you could take is to first calculate the gravitational force acting on the cylinder (mg) and then determine the minimum magnetic force needed to counteract that force and prevent the cylinder from rolling down the slope. From there, you can use the equation F = BIL to solve for the minimum current (i) needed, where B is the magnetic field strength, I is the current, and L is the length of the wire.

Another approach could be to calculate the torque on the cylinder due to the magnetic force (τ = BILsinθ) and set it equal to the torque due to the gravitational force (τ = mgrsinθ), and solve for the minimum current from there.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need further clarification or assistance. Good luck!

1. What is "Problem - Need Direction"?

"Problem - Need Direction" is a phrase commonly used in research and scientific studies to describe a situation where there is an identified problem or issue that requires further investigation and direction in order to find a solution.

2. How do you identify a problem that needs direction?

A problem that needs direction can be identified by assessing the current state of a particular field or topic and determining areas that require improvement or further understanding. This can also be done by conducting research or reviewing existing literature to identify gaps or unresolved issues.

3. Why is it important to have a direction when addressing a problem?

Having a direction when addressing a problem is crucial as it provides a clear goal and path for finding a solution. Without direction, the problem may become overwhelming and difficult to resolve. Having a direction also helps to focus efforts and resources towards a specific solution.

4. What are some strategies for determining the best direction to take when addressing a problem?

Some strategies for determining the best direction to take when addressing a problem include conducting thorough research, consulting with experts in the field, brainstorming and evaluating potential solutions, and considering the potential impact and feasibility of each option.

5. How can one effectively communicate the need for direction when presenting a problem?

To effectively communicate the need for direction when presenting a problem, it is important to clearly and concisely describe the problem and its potential impact. Additionally, providing evidence and data to support the need for direction can help to strengthen the argument. It may also be helpful to provide potential solutions or next steps that could be taken with the right direction and resources.