1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem of compression

1. Sep 26, 2016 #1

grandpa2390

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am doing a problem of compression work. in order to solve it, I have to find an equation for the line and integrate it to get the work. But I don't understand why ##k = \frac{P_i}{V_i}##

2. Relevant equations

P=kV

3. The attempt at a solution

Why is it Pi / Vi and not Pf / Vf ? They both give different answers. In original units of atmospheres and liters they both give the same number (1). IT is when you convert to meters cubed and N/meters cubed that the value of k is different. it is not far off, but slightly.

Is it just a margin of error, but in general either one works. Or is using the initial values a matter of importance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are different ways of calculating compression work depending on what happens to the heat generated by the compression process .

There are sometimes practical things to take into account as well such as effect of dead volume .

Can you tell us more exactly what problem you are working on ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted