How Does a Gold Nucleus Affect an Alpha Particle at Close Range?

In summary, the problem involves an alpha particle approaching a gold atom head on and stopping at a distance of 10^-11m from the nucleus. The electric field due to the gold nucleus at this point can be found using Coulomb's law, with the gold nucleus having a charge of +79q and the alpha particle having a charge of +2q. The acceleration of the alpha particle can then be found using Newton's 2nd law, with the force being the repulsive electric force between the two charges. The two approaches for finding the force are identical, but it is necessary to find the electric field in order to complete the problem.
echau
An alpha particle approaches a gold atom head on, stops, and turns around at a distance of 10^-11m from the nucleus. What is the electric field due to the gold nucleus at this point? Ignore the effects of the gold atom's orbiting electrons. What is the acceleration of the alpha particle when it is stopped? An alpha particle is a helium nucleus, composed of two protons and two neutrons.

Can anyone help me with this problem? I'm just not understanding it...any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The force momentarily stopping the alpha particle is the repulsive electric force that the gold nucleus exerts on the alpha particle. Use Coulomb's law to find the force between the charges at the given distance. (What's the charge of the gold nucleus? What's the charge of the alpha particle?) Then apply Newton's 2nd law to find the acceleration.

The alpha particle (nucleus of He atom) has + charge proportional to Z=2 (2 protons) and the gold nucleus has + charge proportional to Z=79 (79 protons).

So this becomes an electrostatic force problem - the alpha stops.

Remember coulombs law and coulomb force.

What is the electric field cause due to 79q, where q is the magnitude of charge on a proton?

acceleration, a = F/m.

Thanks for the replies!

Should I use F=kq1q2/r^2? then plug it into F=ma?

or should I find E=kq/r^2 and plug it into F=qE?

Sorry if these are very simplistic questions...Physics is hard for me =/

echau said:
Should I use F=kq1q2/r^2? then plug it into F=ma?

or should I find E=kq/r^2 and plug it into F=qE?
The two approaches are identical. Take your pick.

thank you :) i really appreciate the help!

The two approaches are (pedagogically) NOT identical ...
the first approach ignores the E-field, which WAS the Question.

Good point, since one of the questions was to find the electric field. :blushing:

As far as figuring out the acceleration, the two methods for finding the force are identical. But since you have to find the electric field anyway, obviously you would use that result to finish the problem.

FAQ: How Does a Gold Nucleus Affect an Alpha Particle at Close Range?

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region around a charged particle or object in which other charged particles experience a force.

2. How is the electric field strength calculated?

The electric field strength is calculated by dividing the force on a test charge by the magnitude of the test charge. It is represented by the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force, and q is the test charge.

3. What is the difference between electric field and electric potential?

Electric field is a measure of the force exerted on a charged particle, while electric potential is a measure of the potential energy of a charged particle. In simpler terms, electric field is the cause and electric potential is the effect.

4. How does distance affect electric field strength?

The electric field strength is inversely proportional to the distance from the charged particle or object. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field strength decreases.

5. What are some real-life applications of electric fields?

Electric fields have many practical applications, such as in electrical circuits, generators, and motors. They are also used in medical technology, such as MRI machines, and in everyday objects like cell phones and computers.