Solving Exponent Problem: Find Value of x

• Thread starter altamashghazi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponent
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the value of x in the equation x^x^x^x=2. The attempted solution involves taking the log of both sides, but this results in a difficult equation to solve. It is noted that the power tower is not x^4, but rather an infinite power tower. While there is a way to solve the infinite power tower, there is no known way to solve a finite power tower equation algebraically. Approximation methods, such as the Bisection method or Newton's method, may be used to find an approximate solution.
altamashghazi

Homework Statement

x^X^x^x^x=2. find value of x.

Homework Equations

taking log both sides, but it makes a equation which i am not able to solve.

The Attempt at a Solution

x^(x)^4=2
x^4logx=log2. what next?

Physics news on Phys.org
altamashghazi said:

Homework Statement

x^X^x^x^x=2. find value of x.

Homework Equations

taking log both sides, but it makes a equation which i am not able to solve.

The Attempt at a Solution

x^(x)^4=2
x^4logx=log2. what next?

Is that

[tex]x^{x^{x^{x^x}}}[/tex]

or

[tex](((x^x)^x)^x)^x[/tex]

?

the fist one

the first one

Was this a problem you just made up? In any case, I don't believe you'll be able to solve it using analytic functions.

If you take the log of both sides, it becomes

[tex]x^{x^{x^x}}\log x = \log 2[/tex]

and not [itex]x^4\log x[/itex] as you suggested. Also, the power tower isn't

[tex]x^{x^4}[/tex] either. If you use Knuth's up arrow notation, then it would be equivalent to x^^5 where each ^ represents an up arrow.

then what should i do how to solve

Funnily enough, you can solve the infinite power tower quite easily, provided a solution exists, e.g.

[tex]x^{x^{x^{x^{x}...}}} = 2 \implies x^2 = 2 \implies x = \sqrt{2}[/tex]

But there's no way of solving a finite power tower equation algebraically. You can probably do it numerically, though, to get an approximate solution.

EDIT: you can use ##x = \sqrt{2}## as an excellent starting guess for a numerical solver for your finite power tower problem.

Last edited:
Curious3141 , I am curious to know how x^x^x ... = 2 became x^2 = 2 .

If x^x^x... = 2 then if we add another x at the bottom of that tower power, we haven't changed anything since the power tower is infinitely high. Or in other words,
y^x^x^x... = 2 where y=x is still equivalent to x^x^x..., so we substitute 2 for x^x^x... since that's what we assumed it is equal to, and arrive at

y^2 = 2
y=x
x^2 = 2

sambarbarian said:
Curious3141
sambarbarian said:
I am curious...
Curious tends to instigate these feelings in all of us :smile:

Last edited:

1. What is an exponent?

An exponent is a mathematical notation that represents the number of times a base number is multiplied by itself.

2. How do I solve an exponent problem?

To solve an exponent problem, you can use the exponent rules, such as the product rule, quotient rule, power rule, and zero and negative exponent rules. In some cases, you may also need to use algebraic manipulation or logarithms.

3. What is the value of x in an exponent problem?

The value of x represents the unknown number or variable that you are trying to solve for in the exponent equation.

4. Can I solve an exponent problem without a calculator?

Yes, you can solve an exponent problem without a calculator by using the exponent rules and basic algebraic techniques such as factoring and simplifying expressions.

5. Why is solving exponent problems important?

Solving exponent problems is important because it allows us to accurately represent and manipulate very large or small numbers, and is essential in many areas of mathematics and science, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.