Troubleshooting Spring and Masses: How to Solve for Maximum Compression?

• Thread starter Physics_Boi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary, the conversation discusses using the conservation of energy and momentum to solve a problem involving a spring and two masses. The two masses have velocities when the spring is compressed and momentum is conserved because there are no external forces acting on the system. The problem was successfully solved using these principles.
Physics_Boi
C0EF8D88-68E3-43D2-A241-1208964D9478.jpeg
1. Homework Statement

Attached in the picture below.

Homework Equations

Spring energy = 0.5Kx2
Kinetic energy = 0.5mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried setting the equations for spring energy and kinetic energy equal, since I thought the maximum compression would occur when the box had no velocity, and stopped momentarily (in accordance with the Law of the Conservation of Energy)
0.5mv2 = 0.5Kx2 and when I solved for x, I got v * sqrt(m/K). I don’t know what I am missing, can somebody please help me?[/B]

Attachments

• C0EF8D88-68E3-43D2-A241-1208964D9478.jpeg
    C0EF8D88-68E3-43D2-A241-1208964D9478.jpeg
    20.5 KB · Views: 647
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no "picture below". I think you need to edit your post.

What can you say about the velocities of the two masses when the spring attains maximum compression. In addition to energy being conserved, what else is conserved?

Oh could I also use conservation of momentum? Does that mean the second block would also have some velocity when the spring is compressed?

Physics_Boi said:
Oh could I also use conservation of momentum? Does that mean the second block would also have some velocity when the spring is compressed?
Yes and yes

Physics_Boi said:
You shouldn't just guess. Why is momentum conserved?

Momentum would be conserved since there wouldn't be any external force acting on the object.

Physics_Boi said:
Momentum would be conserved since there wouldn't be any external force acting on the object.
Right, but think "the system" instead of the object which consists of the two masses and the spring

Likes Chestermiller
Ok thank you for the help! I solved the problem successfully using the conservation of momentum and energy!

Likes Chestermiller
Physics_Boi said:
Ok thank you for the help! I solved the problem successfully using the conservation of momentum and energy!
Congrats!

1. What is the problem with spring and masses?

The problem with spring and masses is that it involves finding the motion and equilibrium of a system consisting of a spring and one or more masses attached to it.

2. How do you solve problems involving spring and masses?

To solve problems involving spring and masses, you need to use the principles of Hooke's Law and Newton's Laws of Motion. This involves setting up and solving equations that describe the forces acting on the system.

3. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed from its natural length. This can be expressed as F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance.

4. How does the number of masses affect the motion of a spring and masses system?

The number of masses attached to a spring affects the motion of the system as it determines the total mass and therefore the inertia of the system. More masses will result in slower oscillation and a longer period of motion.

5. What factors can affect the equilibrium of a spring and masses system?

The equilibrium of a spring and masses system can be affected by factors such as the mass of the objects, the spring constant, and the amplitude of motion. Changes in any of these variables can result in a different equilibrium position for the system.