Problem with a trigonometric equation.

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to the equation 0=sinθ+cosθtan^2θ and ways to simplify it. The solution involves factoring the equation and finding the values of θ that make it equal to 0. It is concluded that 5π/2 is not a possible solution.
Shawn Garsed

Homework Statement

Which of the following is not a possible solution of
0=sinθ+cosθtan^2θ?

A. 3pi/4
B. 7pi/4
C. 2pi
D. 5pi/2

Homework Equations

All trigonometric identities.

The Attempt at a Solution

Too much to write down, at least two pages long, but I've been trying to rewrite the equation so that there's only one trigonometric function left. I would really like a push in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Shawn! :smile:

(have a pi: π and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
Shawn Garsed said:
… I've been trying to rewrite the equation so that there's only one trigonometric function left. I would really like a push in the right direction.

I'm not sure what you mean by that,

but wouldn't it be easier to factor it, in the form f(θ)g(θ) = 0, so that you can then solve (or in this case, check) the easier equations f(θ) = 0 and g(θ) - 0 separately? :wink:

I think I got it:

sinθ+cosθtan2θ=sinθ(1+tanθ), therefore θ=0, 180, 135 or 315, which means 5π/2 is not a possible solution.

Shawn Garsed said:
I think I got it:

sinθ+cosθtan2θ=sinθ(1+tanθ), therefore θ=0, 180, 135 or 315, which means 5π/2 is not a possible solution.

Perfect! :smile:

(except technically you needed to go above 360°, since 5π/2 > 2π :wink:)

Related to Problem with a trigonometric equation.

1. What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These equations are used to solve for unknown angles or sides in triangles.

2. What are common problems encountered when solving a trigonometric equation?

Some common problems that can arise when solving a trigonometric equation include having multiple solutions, having no solutions, or having complex solutions. Additionally, mistakes in algebraic manipulation or forgetting to consider the domain of the equation can also cause problems.

3. How can I determine the domain of a trigonometric equation?

The domain of a trigonometric equation is determined by the values that the angles can take. For example, in a sine function, the domain is all real numbers. However, in a tangent function, the domain is restricted to certain values due to the vertical asymptotes that occur at specific angles.

4. What are some strategies for solving a difficult trigonometric equation?

One strategy for solving a difficult trigonometric equation is to use identities, such as the Pythagorean identities, to simplify the equation. Another strategy is to use the unit circle to visualize the problem and find a solution. Additionally, breaking the equation into smaller parts and solving each part separately can also be helpful.

5. How can I check my solution to a trigonometric equation?

To check your solution to a trigonometric equation, you can substitute the values back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. Another way is to use a graphing calculator to graph both sides of the equation and see if they intersect at the given solution.