How long does it take for the canister to empty?

In summary, the conversation discusses a sylindrically shaped canister with a height of 25.0cm and a radius of 5.00cm, and a hole at the bottom with an area of 1.50cm^2 spraying out water. The conversation also mentions Bernoulli's equation and the effects of changing hydrostatic pressure and flow speed. The conversation then moves on to discussing a similar problem with a pool and a hatch, ultimately trying to find the net force and torque on the hatch caused by pressure. Solutions and equations are proposed, but ultimately the conversation ends with the task being left for another day.
Kelju Ivan
I have a sylindrically shaped canister (open from the top) with a height of 25.0cm and a radius of 5.00cm. At the bottom there is a hole with an area of 1.50cm^2 spraying out water. How long does it take to empty the canister?

Subscripts t and b stand for top and bottom and h is the height.

I know that the flowing mass is the same in both ends of the flow tube so [tex] A_t v_t = A_b v_b [/tex] => [tex] v_t = \frac{A_b}{A_t} v_b [/tex]

There's atmospheric pressure at both ends of the canister.

Using Bernoulli's equation I get [tex] p_a + \rho g h + \frac{1}{2}v_t^2 = p_a + \rho g*0 + \frac{1}{2}v_b^2[/tex]

From this I could solve the flow speed at the hole in the bottom. Before I got that far I was stopped by one thought: the flow speed must change when the surface gets lower, that is, when the hydrostatic pressure at the bottom becomes weaker. I assume this is somehow done with integrals, but I really have no idea how. Please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The flow speed does decrease - because h decreases!

Yes, I understand that, but I have know idea how to apply integrals to problems like these. I have other similar problems which I can't solve because of this.

One of them is about a pool. At the side of a pool there's a hatch (dimensions a and b), which is hinged from the bottom and which's top is just at the surface of the water. Now I need to find the net force caused on the hatch by the pressure and the torque caused by the same force.

The deeper in the water, the stronger the force caused by the pressure. Torque on the other hand has a larger effect near the top, where the lever is longer. How do I go about with applying these integrals?

Okay, I ignored it and got a time of 5.91s. Seems kinda fast, but the volymetric flow looks to be consistent with another problem with the same canister. I guess that's it then, thanks.

How about that pool with the hatch? In my book (Young and Freedman's University Physics) there's a similar problem and it's got a hint telling to calculate the torque of a thin horizontal strip at depth h and integrate that over the hatch.

How does that work exactly?

--------
The answer I was replying to seems to have been deleted while I wrote this. Hmmh...

Kelju Ivan said:
I have a sylindrically shaped canister (open from the top) with a height of 25.0cm and a radius of 5.00cm. At the bottom there is a hole with an area of 1.50cm^2 spraying out water. How long does it take to empty the canister?

Subscripts t and b stand for top and bottom and h is the height.

I know that the flowing mass is the same in both ends of the flow tube so [tex] A_t v_t = A_b v_b [/tex] => [tex] v_t = \frac{A_b}{A_t} v_b [/tex]

There's atmospheric pressure at both ends of the canister.

Using Bernoulli's equation I get [tex] p_a + \rho g h + \frac{1}{2}v_t^2 = p_a + \rho g*0 + \frac{1}{2}v_b^2[/tex]

From this I could solve the flow speed at the hole in the bottom. Before I got that far I was stopped by one thought: the flow speed must change when the surface gets lower, that is, when the hydrostatic pressure at the bottom becomes weaker. I assume this is somehow done with integrals, but I really have no idea how. Please help.
Okay, I ignored it and got a time of 5.91s. Seems kinda fast, but the volymetric flow looks to be consistent with another problem with the same canister. I guess that's it then, thanks.

Hi, Kelju Ivan. What have you ignored? You mean, the variations of v due to variations of h?.

We will consider steady Bernoulli equation. I mean, just the fluid movement is started, there is a period of time in which the flow is accelerated downwards. Thus, the process is unsteady, and you would have to add another term to this form of Bernoulli equation. But we suppose (if you don't want say it to me) that time to be smaller enough compared with characteristic time of downwards flow. Then:

[tex] p_a + \rho g h + \frac{1}{2}v_t^2 = p_a + \rho g*0 + \frac{1}{2}v_b^2[/tex]

Continuity: [tex] A_t v_t = A_b v_b [/tex]

And now Continuity again : [tex]v_t=-\frac{dh}{dt}[/tex] where h(t) is the height of the fluid column. If we insert this result in Bernoulli equation:

[tex] v_t=-\frac{dh}{dt} =\sqrt{\frac{2gh}{(A_t/A_b)^2-1}}[/tex]

In this form you only have approached about steadiness of the flow. You could simplify this by saying that "vt" is much smaller than "vb" due to At/Ab>>1. It is the same thing that writting "vt=0". In fact, if Ab/At<<1, the time variations of h(t) are negligible compared with the residence time of a fluid particle inside the vessel:

residence time: [tex] t_r \approx \frac{D_b}{U_o} [/tex]

characteristic time of h variations: [tex] t_o \approx \frac{h_o}{U_o} [/tex]

where Db=bottom's hole diameter; ho=initial height; Uo=characteristic velocity.

You can realize that tr<<to; so that you could linearize the differential equation around "ho" and solve it with the appropiate initial conditions.

I hope it could help you a bit.

Regards.

Yes, I ignored the variations in v, because some other user advised me to do so (but then deleted his post).

I must say that I didn't understand where you were getting at with those characteristic times and velocities. What are they? I've never seen those equations you presented, I don't think they're necessary for this task.

I'm starting to trust the thought that this exercise should be thought in the simpler way of having a constant speed. I'll find out on Thursday.

Currently I'm more interested in the hatch problem with the pool. With some help from a friend I integrated to find the force affecting the hatch. I got F=½rho*g*b^2*a

Should I now just calculate F*b (the height of the hatch) or do I need more integration?

1. What is fluid flow?

Fluid flow is the movement of a substance, typically a liquid or gas, through a defined space or medium. It is governed by physical properties such as viscosity, density, and pressure.

2. What causes problems with fluid flow?

Problems with fluid flow can be caused by a variety of factors, such as obstructions in the flow path, changes in pressure or temperature, or inadequate pumping or mixing mechanisms. These issues can lead to reduced or uneven flow, blockages, or backflow.

3. How can problems with fluid flow be identified?

There are several methods for identifying problems with fluid flow, including visual inspections, flow rate measurements, pressure and temperature monitoring, and fluid analysis. These techniques can help pinpoint the source of the issue and guide potential solutions.

4. What are some common solutions for problems with fluid flow?

The appropriate solution for a problem with fluid flow will depend on the specific issue at hand. Some common solutions include adjusting pump or valve settings, removing obstructions, improving mixing or agitation, or changing the properties of the fluid itself through additives or temperature control.

5. How can problems with fluid flow be prevented?

Preventing problems with fluid flow requires careful planning and maintenance. Regularly inspecting and cleaning flow paths, monitoring and controlling pressure and temperature, and using appropriate equipment and fluids can help prevent issues from arising. Additionally, having a thorough understanding of the system and its requirements can aid in identifying potential problems before they occur.