Problem With fundamental theorum of Calculus

In summary, the question asks for F'(\pi/2) when F(x)=\int_0^{\cos x}e^{t^2}\,dt. The book uses the fundamental theorem of calculus to find that F'(x)=e^{cos^2x}. Using the chain rule, F'(x)=f(g(x))*g'(x)=e^{cos^2x}*(-sinx). Substituting \pi/2 into this equation gives a final answer of -1.
Titans86

Homework Statement

The question: F'([tex]\pi[/tex]/2) if F(X)= [tex]\int^{cosx}_{0} e^{t^{2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I thought F'(X) = f(t) = e^{t^{2}} replacing t with cos^{2}x

But my book writes:

F'(x) = [tex](-sinx)e^{cos^{2}x}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
the deal is that you need to apply chain rule here, since your upper limit bound of integration is not an independent variable, but rather a function as well.

I assume your question is, "Find the value of [itex]F'(\pi/2)[/itex], given

[tex]F(x)=\int_0^{\cos x}e^{t^2}\,dt\;.[/tex]

The fundamental theorem of calculus states that if

[tex]F(x)=\int_a^x f(t)dt\;,[/tex]

then

[tex]F'(x)=f(x).[/tex]

Can you see how this differs from your problem?

hmm... I'm sorry but I still don't see it...

The book then substitutes pi/2 into the F'(x) that I wrote above and ends it there...

the final answer is -1...

Titans86 said:
hmm... I'm sorry but I still don't see it...

The book then substitutes pi/2 into the F'(x) that I wrote above and ends it there...

the final answer is -1...

What does the chain rule say?

if you have[tex] [F(g(x))]'=F'(g(x))*g'(x)=e^{cos^2x}(cosx)'=?[/tex]

In your problem you have g(x)=cosx and

[tex]F(g(x))=\int_0^{\ g(x)}e^{t^2}\,dt=\int_0^{\cos x}e^{t^2}\,dt[/tex]

Now just look above and you are done.

Last edited:
Ah, I see what's going on...

I was differentiating [tex]e^{cos^{2}x}[/tex] which was giving me something else...

What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus is a theorem that connects the concepts of differentiation and integration. It states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and has an antiderivative, then the definite integral of the function over that interval can be evaluated by finding the difference between the antiderivative at the upper and lower limits of the interval.

What is the problem with the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The problem with the fundamental theorem of calculus is that it assumes the function being integrated is continuous and has an antiderivative. However, there are some functions that are discontinuous or do not have an antiderivative, making the theorem unable to be applied.

Can the fundamental theorem of calculus be proved?

Yes, the fundamental theorem of calculus can be proved through the use of the intermediate value theorem and the mean value theorem.

How is the fundamental theorem of calculus used in real-world applications?

The fundamental theorem of calculus is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as calculating areas and volumes in engineering and physics, estimating population growth in biology, and determining profit and loss in economics.

What are some alternative theorems to the fundamental theorem of calculus?

Some alternative theorems to the fundamental theorem of calculus include the Leibniz integral rule, the Cauchy integral theorem, and the Cauchy integral formula. These theorems also connect differentiation and integration, but have different assumptions and applications.