Problem with the change of variable theorem of integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's attempt to solve an integral using the change of variables theorem for integration. However, the two solutions they came up with give different results, and they are unsure of where they went wrong. After analyzing each step, they realize that the mistake lies in taking the square root of sin^2(x), which should be |sin(x)| instead of -sin(x) in the second region.
IvanT

Homework Statement

So I came across the integral [itex]\int^{1}_{0}x\sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex] and I tried to solve it in two ways using the change of variables theorem for integration, however both ways are supposed to give me the same result, but they differ in the sign and I cannot find what I am doing wrong.

Homework Equations

The change of variable theorem states the following: Let I=[a,b]. Let g: I->R be a function of class C^1, with g'(x) different from 0 for x in (a,b). Then the set g(I) is a closed interval J with end points g(a) and g(b) (not necessarily in that order). If f: J->R is continous, then [itex]\int^{g(b)}_{g(a)}f[/itex]=[itex]\int^{b}_{a}(f°g)g'[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So, for the first solution I used g(x)=cos(x) in the interval I=[0,Pi/2]. Clearly cos(I)=[0,1] and g'(x)=-sin(x) is not 0 for any x in (0,pi/2). Since f(x)=x*sqrt(1-x^2) is continuous in [0,1] the hypotheses of the theorem are satisfied and we have [itex]\int^{g(pi/2)}_{g(0)}f[/itex]=[itex]\int^{0}_{1}x\sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex]=-[itex]\int^{1}_{0}x\sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex]=[itex]\int^{pi/2}_{0}cos(x)sin(x)(-sin(x))[/itex]=-sin^3(pi/2)/3+sin^3(0)/3=-1/3 so that [itex]\int^{1}_{0}f[/itex]=1/3.
On the other hand, if I consider the same g(x)=cos(x) but now in the interval I=[-pi/2,0], we have again that cos(I)=[0,1] and the hypotheses are satisfied. However we get [itex]\int^{g(0)}_{g(-pi/2)}f[/itex]=[itex]\int^{1}_{0}x\sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex]=[itex]\int^{0}_{-pi/2}cos(x)sin(x)(-sin(x))[/itex]=-sin^3(0)/3+sin^3(-pi/2)/3=-1/3 so that [itex]\int^{1}_{0}f[/itex]=-1/3!.
I checked every step a few times already and I cannot find the mistake. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
IvanT said:

Homework Statement

So I came across the integral [itex]\int^{1}_{0}x\sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex] and I tried to solve it in two ways using the change of variables theorem for integration, however both ways are supposed to give me the same result, but they differ in the sign and I cannot find what I am doing wrong.

Homework Equations

The change of variable theorem states the following: Let I=[a,b]. Let g: I->R be a function of class C^1, with g'(x) different from 0 for x in (a,b). Then the set g(I) is a closed interval J with end points g(a) and g(b) (not necessarily in that order). If f: J->R is continous, then [itex]\int^{g(b)}_{g(a)}f[/itex]=[itex]\int^{b}_{a}(f°g)g'[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So, for the first solution I used g(x)=cos(x) in the interval I=[0,Pi/2]. Clearly cos(I)=[0,1] and g'(x)=-sin(x) is not 0 for any x in (0,pi/2). Since f(x)=x*sqrt(1-x^2) is continuous in [0,1] the hypotheses of the theorem are satisfied and we have [itex]\int^{g(pi/2)}_{g(0)}f[/itex]=[itex]\int^{0}_{1}x\sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex]=-[itex]\int^{1}_{0}x\sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex]=[itex]\int^{pi/2}_{0}cos(x)sin(x)(-sin(x))[/itex]=-sin^3(pi/2)/3+sin^3(0)/3=-1/3 so that [itex]\int^{1}_{0}f[/itex]=1/3.
On the other hand, if I consider the same g(x)=cos(x) but now in the interval I=[-pi/2,0], we have again that cos(I)=[0,1] and the hypotheses are satisfied. However we get [itex]\int^{g(0)}_{g(-pi/2)}f[/itex]=[itex]\int^{1}_{0}x\sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex]=[itex]\int^{0}_{-pi/2}cos(x)sin(x)(-sin(x))[/itex]=-sin^3(0)/3+sin^3(-pi/2)/3=-1/3 so that [itex]\int^{1}_{0}f[/itex]=-1/3!.
I checked every step a few times already and I cannot find the mistake. Any help would be appreciated.

When you took √sin2(x), it's |sin(x)|, which in the second region is -sin(x)

algebrat said:
When you took √sin2(x), it's |sin(x)|, which in the second region is -sin(x)

Oh xD, I didn't noticed that, thanks a lot : ).

1. What is the change of variable theorem of integrals?

The change of variable theorem of integrals is a mathematical concept that states that when integrating a function with respect to a new variable, the resulting integral is equivalent to the original integral with the new variable substituted in for the old variable. This theorem is also known as the substitution rule for integrals.

2. Why is there a problem with the change of variable theorem of integrals?

The problem with the change of variable theorem of integrals arises when the function being integrated is not continuous or the substitution variable is not a one-to-one function. In these cases, the substitution may lead to incorrect results or may not be possible at all.

3. How can I determine if the change of variable theorem of integrals is applicable?

To determine if the change of variable theorem of integrals is applicable, you should check if the function being integrated is continuous and if the substitution variable is a one-to-one function. Additionally, you can use the Jacobian determinant to verify the substitution.

4. Can I use the change of variable theorem of integrals in any type of integration?

No, the change of variable theorem of integrals is only applicable to definite integrals. It cannot be used for indefinite integrals or other types of integrals such as improper integrals.

5. Are there any techniques to overcome the problems with the change of variable theorem of integrals?

Yes, there are some techniques that can be used to overcome the problems with the change of variable theorem of integrals. These include using different substitution variables, breaking the integral into smaller parts, or using other integration techniques such as integration by parts.