Problems Involving Integration Please

In summary, the person is looking for resources to practice physics problems that require the use of calculus. They are specifically interested in problems similar to one given by their teacher, where they were asked to find the linear mass density and speed of a transverse wave along a string with a variable linear mass density. They are open to any suggestions or assistance in finding these types of problems.
SpeeDFX
Hi, I'm taking my second semester of physics right now. I do a lot of practice problems from my book and am able to complete the problems marked "difficult" without much trouble. Even though these problems are a little more challenging, they hardly ever employ the use of calculus (integration), which is something my teacher loves to play with. I'm looking for a textbook, web site, or any other source that has physics problems that require the use of calculus to solve. I NEEEEEED to practice this, because these problems get me EVERY time.

An example of a problem that my teacher gave my class recently on a test is the following...
"a string hangs from the ceiling. It has a variable linear mass density that is zero at the bottom of the string and increases linearly until it reaches a maximum value at the top. The string has mass M and length L." Find the linear mass density and the speed of transverse wave along this string.
I understood in the case of a string with a constant linear mass density, the speed of a wave will increase as it nears the top of the string, and since in that case the string had a linear mass density that increased towards the top, the same behaviour would be exaggurated (for the lack of a better word). I knew the equation for the speed of a wave along a string, and I know the the linear mass density would some kind of function of x, but I got stuck there and had no idea how to proceed.

Problems like THAT are what I'm looking for. Any help is appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
please someone assist me :)

Why not google on "calculus problems physics", and see if anything there is of use ?

1. What is integration and why is it important in science?

Integration is a mathematical process of finding the area under a curve. It is important in science because many real-world problems can be represented by curves, and finding the area under these curves can provide valuable information and insights.

2. What are some common types of problems that involve integration?

Some common types of problems that involve integration include calculating volumes of irregular shapes, finding the center of mass of a three-dimensional object, and determining the work done by a varying force.

3. How is integration different from differentiation?

Integration and differentiation are inverse operations of each other. While differentiation finds the rate of change of a function, integration finds the original function from its rate of change. In other words, integration is the reverse process of differentiation.

4. What are some techniques used in integration?

There are several techniques used in integration, including substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric substitution. These techniques help in solving different types of integration problems and finding more accurate solutions.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving integration problems?

To improve your skills in solving integration problems, it is important to practice regularly and understand the underlying concepts. You can also refer to textbooks, online resources, or seek help from a tutor to learn different techniques and approaches for solving integration problems.