Solving Sound Problems: How High & How Loud?

• Thread starter jrd007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary: ...sound is heard after the splash occurs......implies that the splash occurs, then the sound is heard.
jrd007
Okay here goes. I think I am doing the problems right but not the correct answers... :(

(1) A stone is dropped from the top of a cliff. The splash it makes when striking the water below is heard 3.5 s later. How high is the cliff? Answer: 55 m

My approach: What I did was used the key equation: d = vt since I know both water and air's v. (Water = 1440 m/s & air = 343 m/s) And since I know the change in t = 3.5 s. So I set the equation like so:

{air}v(t - 3.5s) = {water}v(t)
343(t - 3.5s) = 1400(t)
t - 3.5s = (1440/343)(t)
I get the time = -1.09 s

then I use distance(water) = (1440 m/s)(-1.09s) = -1576 m
and for air = -1574 m... what am I doing wrong?

------------------

(2) A person is standing a certain distance from an air plane with four equally noisy jet engines is experiencing a sound level bordering on pain, 120 dB. What sound level would this person experience if the captian shut down all by one engine? (Hint: Add intesties; not dBs) Answer: 114 dB

My approach: Fine the instestiny of all four then divide by three to get what ONE I would be.

So... I = I(intial) = 10^(sound level(B)/(10)
I = (1.0 x 10^ -12)^(120/10)
I = (1.0 x 10^ -12)^(12)
I = 1 and 1/3 = .33... Again what did I do wrong?

-----------------

(3) Expensive amplifier A is rated @ 250 W, while the most modest Amp B is rated @ 40 W. Estimate the sound level in decibels you would expect at a point 3.5 m from a loudspeaker connected in turn to each Amp. Answers: 122 dB, 114 dB

No idea how to get the answers. I know that we have Watts but not how to do it.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Physics news on Phys.org
jrd007 said:
Okay here goes. I think I am doing the problems right but not the correct answers... :(
(1) A stone is dropped from the top of a cliff. The splash it makes when striking the water below is heard 3.5 s later. How high is the cliff? Answer: 55 m
My approach: What I did was used the key equation: d = vt since I know both water and air's v. (Water = 1440 m/s & air = 343 m/s) And since I know the change in t = 3.5 s. So I set the equation like so:
{air}v(t - 3.5s) = {water}v(t)
343(t - 3.5s) = 1400(t)
t - 3.5s = (1440/343)(t)
I get the time = -1.09 s
then I use distance(water) = (1440 m/s)(-1.09s) = -1576 m
and for air = -1574 m... what am I doing wrong?
You dropped a stone. Stones rarely travel at the speed of sound and when you drop them, they certainly don't travel at a constant speed. The equation d = vt is therefore wrong.

(2) A person is standing a certain distance from an air plane with four equally noisy jet engines is experiencing a sound level bordering on pain, 120 dB. What sound level would this person experience if the captian shut down all by one engine? (Hint: Add intesties; not dBs) Answer: 114 dB
My approach: Fine the instestiny of all four then divide by three to get what ONE I would be.
Division by 3?
I = (1.0 x 10^ -12)^(12)
I = 1 and 1/3 = .33... Again what did I do wrong?
The equation:
L4 = 10 log (4I / I0), I0 = 1 pW/m2

Solve for intensity of one engine: I.

(3) Expensive amplifier A is rated @ 250 W, while the most modest Amp B is rated @ 40 W. Estimate the sound level in decibels you would expect at a point 3.5 m from a loudspeaker connected in turn to each Amp. Answers: 122 dB, 114 dB
No idea how to get the answers. I know that we have Watts but not how to do it.
Thanks to anyone who can help.
Intensity is proportional to power, and inversely proportional to area, as can be seen from the units: = W/m2.
What is the area covered in 3.5 meters approximating the speaker as a point source?

jrd007 said:
I = (1.0 x 10^ -12)^(12)
I = 1 and 1/3 = .33... Again what did I do wrong?[/I]

I don't understand why do you raise 10 to the power -12!

Because Io = 1 x 10-12, it is in our book.

Päällikkö, you are suppose to help me with problems 1 and 2 not tell me I am wrong.

jrd007 said:
Because Io = 1 x 10-12, it is in our book.
Päällikkö, you are suppose to help me with problems 1 and 2 not tell me I am wrong.
I helped by telling in which parts you were wrong. I don't think you'd learn much if I posted complete solutions.

1) How fast does the stone drop (what is it's velocity (and/or displacement) as a function of time)?
2) Do the algebra for the equation (solve for I) again. And if you know that 4 cars have the same price, and their combined price is x, then the price of one is x/4, not x/3.
3) I can't help you much more without solving the whole problem. Give it some thought.

1) How fast or slow the stone drops is irrelevant, since the problem states the sound is heard after the splash occurs, not after dropping the stone. Sound travels at a specific velocity in air (OK, it also depends on density of air, etc. - assume normal density at 25 celsius). Your equation d=vt is correct - it's simply a matter of plugging in the numbers. You don't really need the speed of sound in water.

daveb said:
1) How fast or slow the stone drops is irrelevant, since the problem states the sound is heard after the splash occurs, not after dropping the stone.
No Dave, reread it.

The splash is not seen (as you are inferring), the splash is heard. The operator does not know (by sight) when the splash occurs. i.e. the only way to sense the splash is by its sound.

The only event previous to that is the dropping of the stone. i.e. stone is dropped; 3.5s later the splash is heard.

daveb said:
You don't really need the speed of sound in water.
Quite true, so why do you bring it up? Nobody else did.

DaveC426913 said:
No Dave, reread it. The splash is not seen (as you are inferring), the splash is heard...
DOH! You're right.
DaveC426913 said:
Quite true, so why do you bring it up? Nobody else did.
Because I assume that's what this
jrd007 said:
(Water = 1440 m/s & air = 343 m/s)
means

The stone falls from the top of the cliff under gravity. Use S= ut + 1/2 at^2 to get the height s in terms of t.

Next step is to find the travel time of sound from water to you.

S = Vs * ts where S is the hill height.

Now use (t+ts) = 3.5 s

You will have a quadratic equation to solve for S.

For the second one,

You don't need to use the value of Io. If the sound intensity of one engine is I, then intensities of four would be 4I

120 = 10 log (4I/Io). From here find I/Io

Now when all but one is turned off (means only one is working now) the new intensity level

is = 10 log (I/Io) = 114 dB

For the third one, intensity I = power / Area. So at a distance R from the source I = Power / area of the sphere of radius R.

I = Power / 4 pi R^2. I think you can go from here.

Thanks Gamma. The equations were useful and I worked them out with a friend at school.

1. What is the difference between volume and pitch?

The volume of a sound refers to its loudness, while the pitch refers to the frequency or tone of the sound. Volume is measured in decibels (dB), while pitch is measured in Hertz (Hz).

2. How can I determine the appropriate volume and pitch for a sound?

The appropriate volume and pitch for a sound will depend on the context and purpose of the sound. For example, a loud and high-pitched sound may be suitable for a concert, but too disruptive for a library. It is important to consider the audience and environment when determining the appropriate volume and pitch for a sound.

3. Can sound levels be harmful to our hearing?

Yes, exposure to high decibel levels for prolonged periods of time can cause damage to our hearing. It is recommended to keep the volume below 85 dB for extended periods of time to prevent hearing loss.

4. How can I reduce the volume of a sound?

There are several ways to reduce the volume of a sound, such as using earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones, adjusting the volume on the source device, or physically moving away from the source of the sound.

5. What are some common methods for controlling sound levels?

Some common methods for controlling sound levels include using sound barriers, sound-absorbing materials, and sound insulation. Additionally, implementing regulations and guidelines for noise levels in public spaces can also help to control sound levels.