1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Procedure Based Question

1. Nov 7, 2004 #1
    A large tank of water has a hose connected to it. The tank is sealed at the top and has compressed air between the water surface and the top. When the water height h has the value 3.5 m , the absolute pressure p of the compressed air is 4.20 * 10^5 Pa. Assume that the air above the water expands at cosntant temperature, and take the atmospheric pressure to be 1.0 * 10^5 Pa. a) What is the speed with which water flows out of the hose when h = 3.50 m? b) and c) just give other values to plugs in for the height. Now the question I have is: Can't i just use Bernouilli's equation? On the first one i did and got the right answer, but on part b and c i didn't, so what is the problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2004 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps if you gave more details of what you did for parts b and c we could help you. Your troubles could simply be unit conversion how could we know when we do not have enough information.

4. Nov 7, 2004 #3
    Basically all i did was to plug the different heights in, the exact same place i did in part a), but i still got the wrong answer. Am i using the wrong procedure?

5. Nov 8, 2004 #4
    Any ideas fellas?

6. Nov 10, 2004 #5
    I could really use some help guys. If you have any ideas, they would be helpful.

7. Nov 10, 2004 #6
    Oh duh, I figured it out. Just had to reorganize the Bernouiili Equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?