• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Procedure Based Question

A large tank of water has a hose connected to it. The tank is sealed at the top and has compressed air between the water surface and the top. When the water height h has the value 3.5 m , the absolute pressure p of the compressed air is 4.20 * 10^5 Pa. Assume that the air above the water expands at cosntant temperature, and take the atmospheric pressure to be 1.0 * 10^5 Pa. a) What is the speed with which water flows out of the hose when h = 3.50 m? b) and c) just give other values to plugs in for the height. Now the question I have is: Can't i just use Bernouilli's equation? On the first one i did and got the right answer, but on part b and c i didn't, so what is the problem?

Integral

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Perhaps if you gave more details of what you did for parts b and c we could help you. Your troubles could simply be unit conversion how could we know when we do not have enough information.

Basically all i did was to plug the different heights in, the exact same place i did in part a), but i still got the wrong answer. Am i using the wrong procedure?

I could really use some help guys. If you have any ideas, they would be helpful.

Oh duh, I figured it out. Just had to reorganize the Bernouiili Equation.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads