Product of two sequences of functions [uniform convergence]

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
timon
Messages
56
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


This is a homework question for a introductory course in analysis. given that
a) the partial sums of [itex]f_n[/itex] are uniformly bounded,

b) [itex]g_1 \geq g_2 \geq ... \geq 0,[/itex]

c) [itex]g_n \rightarrow 0[/itex] uniformly,

prove that [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} f_n g_n[/itex] converges uniformly (the whole adventure takes place on some interval E in R).

Homework Equations


Suppose [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] are two sequences. Then,

[itex]\sum_{j=m+1}^{n} x_jy_j = s_ny_{n+1} - s_my_{m+1} + \sum_{j=m+1}^{n} s_j(y_j - y_{j+1}).[/itex]

This is called partial summation, and is given as a hint with the exercise.

The Attempt at a Solution


Inspired by the Cauchy-criterion for uniform convergence of series of functions, I did the following.

[itex]| \sum_{j=m+1}^{n} f_n g_n | = | (\sum_{i=1}^{n}) f_i g_{n+1} - (\sum_{i=1}^{m} f_i) g_{m+1} + \sum_{j=m+1}^{n} (\sum_{i=1}^{j} f_i) (g_j - g_{j_1} ) |[/itex]

[itex]\leq |g_{n+1} \sum_{i=1}^{n} f_i| + |g_{m+1} \sum_1^m f_i | + | \sum_{j=m+1}^{n} (\sum_{i=1}^{j} f_i) (g_j - g_{j_1} ) |[/itex]
(the last step owing to the subadditivity of the modulus).
The first two terms can be made small since the partial sums of [itex]f[/itex] are bounded and g goes to zero, leaving the third term. I'm having trouble doing anything interesting with that though. Am I on the right track?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can bound [itex]\sum{f_j}[/itex] by L. This leaves you with

[tex]L\sum{g_j-g_{j+1}}[/tex]

But look at this sum carefully. Isn't that a telescoping sum??
 
thanks a lot! I tried to do the same thing but couldn't get [itex]g_i - g_{i+1}[/itex] to converge. I feel somewhat silly now!