Programmable light switch hardware.

• Thread starter MonkOFox
  • Start date
Ok, I know this may sound silly, but I enjoy programming and want to take it to whatever level I'm able to.

Effectively I want to be able to (through programming) connect to a device that has some sort of electrical "switch" and by "switch" I mean, "A device that can control the flow of electricity in a given line of 110 electrical wire".

I don't know if you can buy these or not (the device that is). And if none are available I would like to know what components I would need to build something of this nature.

Next would be the task in which I implement some sort of serial interface on the device that can be sent bits for certain tasks (in this case on/off).

I know some of this may be over simplified, but any help to point me in the right direction would be awesome. I develop software for a living, so hardware isn't really my strongest area.

Thanks,

Justin

Answers and Replies

Have you looked at the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X10_%28industry_standard%29" [Broken] devices and software? smarthome.com sells a lot of this stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what it looks like, the X-10 devices have to be on their own little network and they are controlled from a central unit.

I could be wrong, but unless you can control the switch devices via a connection to a personal computer, then that is not exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks for the info though,

Justin

I'll have to look into those insteon products. I have an application that I'm working on that will execute certain hooks by vocal commands. I just need to make sure they have some sort of API I can use instead only their software.

I really appreciate the help man, now I have an idea of what I'm looking for : ).

Thanks again,

Justin