Programmable light switch hardware.

In summary, Justin enjoys programming and wants to improve his skills by connecting to a device that can control the flow of electricity through a 110 electrical wire. He is unsure if these devices can be purchased or if he will need to build one himself. His next task is to implement a serial interface on the device so he can send commands to turn it on and off. Justin is grateful for any guidance in the right direction, as hardware is not his expertise. He is aware of X-10 devices and software, but is looking for a way to control the switch devices through a connection to a personal computer. He is interested in the Insteon products and may use them for his application that uses vocal commands.
MonkOFox
Ok, I know this may sound silly, but I enjoy programming and want to take it to whatever level I'm able to.

Effectively I want to be able to (through programming) connect to a device that has some sort of electrical "switch" and by "switch" I mean, "A device that can control the flow of electricity in a given line of 110 electrical wire".

I don't know if you can buy these or not (the device that is). And if none are available I would like to know what components I would need to build something of this nature.

Next would be the task in which I implement some sort of serial interface on the device that can be sent bits for certain tasks (in this case on/off).

I know some of this may be over simplified, but any help to point me in the right direction would be awesome. I develop software for a living, so hardware isn't really my strongest area.

Thanks,

Justin

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you looked at the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X10_%28industry_standard%29" devices and software? smarthome.com sells a lot of this stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what it looks like, the X-10 devices have to be on their own little network and they are controlled from a central unit.

I could be wrong, but unless you can control the switch devices via a connection to a personal computer, then that is not exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks for the info though,

Justin

Yes, you can control them from your computer:
http://www.smarthome.com/2413UH/HouseLinc-2-INSTEON-Desktop-Software-with-USB-Interface-Dual-Band/p.aspx
About 10 years ago I wrote my own control software using Visual Basic. I could switch lights, appliances, and even set the temperature on my heat pump thermostat.

I'll have to look into those insteon products. I have an application that I'm working on that will execute certain hooks by vocal commands. I just need to make sure they have some sort of API I can use instead only their software.

I really appreciate the help man, now I have an idea of what I'm looking for : ).

Thanks again,

Justin

1. What is a programmable light switch hardware?

A programmable light switch hardware is a device that allows users to schedule and control the lighting in their home or building. It can be programmed to turn lights on and off at specific times, or in response to certain triggers.

2. How does a programmable light switch hardware work?

A programmable light switch hardware works by connecting to the electrical wiring in a building and controlling the flow of electricity to the lights. It can be programmed using a control panel or through a mobile app, and can be set to turn lights on and off automatically according to a schedule or in response to user commands.

3. What are the benefits of using a programmable light switch hardware?

There are several benefits to using a programmable light switch hardware. It can help reduce energy consumption by ensuring that lights are only on when needed. It can also provide added convenience by allowing users to control their lights remotely. Additionally, it can improve home security by giving the appearance that someone is home even when they are away.

4. Are there different types of programmable light switch hardware?

Yes, there are various types of programmable light switch hardware available. Some are designed for specific types of lighting, such as LED or fluorescent, while others are more versatile and can work with any type of lighting. Some may also offer advanced features such as motion sensing or dimming capabilities.

5. Is it difficult to install a programmable light switch hardware?

The difficulty of installation may vary depending on the specific device and the existing wiring in a building. In general, it is recommended to hire a licensed electrician to ensure proper installation and avoid any potential safety hazards. However, some programmable light switch hardware may be designed for easy DIY installation with step-by-step instructions included.