Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programmable light switch hardware.

1. May 12, 2010 #1
    Ok, I know this may sound silly, but I enjoy programming and want to take it to whatever level I'm able to.

Effectively I want to be able to (through programming) connect to a device that has some sort of electrical "switch" and by "switch" I mean, "A device that can control the flow of electricity in a given line of 110 electrical wire".

I don't know if you can buy these or not (the device that is). And if none are available I would like to know what components I would need to build something of this nature.

Next would be the task in which I implement some sort of serial interface on the device that can be sent bits for certain tasks (in this case on/off).

I know some of this may be over simplified, but any help to point me in the right direction would be awesome. I develop software for a living, so hardware isn't really my strongest area.

Thanks,

Justin

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2010 #2
    Have you looked at the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X10_%28industry_standard%29" [Broken] devices and software? smarthome.com sells a lot of this stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. May 12, 2010 #3
    From what it looks like, the X-10 devices have to be on their own little network and they are controlled from a central unit.

I could be wrong, but unless you can control the switch devices via a connection to a personal computer, then that is not exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks for the info though,

Justin

5. May 12, 2010 #4
  6. May 12, 2010 #5
    I'll have to look into those insteon products. I have an application that I'm working on that will execute certain hooks by vocal commands. I just need to make sure they have some sort of API I can use instead only their software.

I really appreciate the help man, now I have an idea of what I'm looking for : ).

Thanks again,

Justin

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook