Progress on detection of gravitational waves?

In summary, the conversation discusses the progress and potential of detecting gravitational waves through interferometry. There have been only null-results to date, including the recent supernova in Messier 101. Participants also contemplate what type of cosmic event would generate detectable waves and if current technology is sensitive enough to detect them. There is also speculation on the implications for current theories if no detections are made.
Agerhell
Does anyone know how the progress is on the attempts to detect gravitational waves with interferometry?

As far as I know there are only null-results up to this date, but maybe I am misinformed?

The recent supernova in the galaxy Messier 101, should it generate gravitational waves of amplitude/wavelength detectable by current apparature? (It was a supernova of type 1a at a distance of 21 million light-years).

What kind of cosmic event must, according to general relativiy, if they take place not to far away generate gravitational waves that are detectable with the the apparatures of today?

Maybe someone working on LIGO or some other attempt to detect gravitational waves are present on physicsforums and is willing to share his/her thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think any confirmed detection would be headline news.

Naty1 said:
I would think any confirmed detection would be headline news.

Yes, but still... A confirmation that some cosmic event that should generate detectable waves does not would still be interesting. "Now we now for sure that a cosmic event of type x at distance y does not generate waves within the current detectable wavelength-limits and above the current detectable amplitude treshold..."

If the apparature get sensitive enough and still no detections are made, then I guess one would have to rethink the theory of the nature of the waves... But how far are we from being forced to that today?

1. What are gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of spacetime that are produced by massive objects moving through space. These waves were first predicted by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity.

2. How are gravitational waves detected?

Gravitational waves are detected using highly sensitive equipment called interferometers. These devices use lasers to measure tiny changes in the distance between two points caused by passing gravitational waves.

3. What is the significance of detecting gravitational waves?

Detecting gravitational waves allows us to study and understand the universe in a completely new way. It also confirms Einstein's theory of general relativity and opens up new possibilities for studying black holes and other celestial objects.

4. What has been the progress in detecting gravitational waves?

In 2015, the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) made the first direct detection of gravitational waves. Since then, several other gravitational wave detections have been made, including the first observation of a binary neutron star merger.

5. How can the detection of gravitational waves benefit society?

The detection of gravitational waves can lead to new technologies and advancements in fields such as astronomy and physics. It can also help us better understand the universe and potentially answer fundamental questions about its origins and evolution.