1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile A - > B , two different angles

1. Sep 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Muzzle velocity at A = Vo. Determine the two angles, theta 1 and theta 2.

A is seperated from B by a distance L in the x direction and a height H. (B is on a hill above A).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I feel that the important facts of this problem is that sin(theta1)Vo * t1 - gt1^2 = sin ( theta2 )Vo * t2 - gt2^2, since the y displacement for both projectiles are identical. Similarly, we have that the x projectiles are the same, so that cos (theta1 )Vo * t1 = cos ( theta 2 )Vo * t2.
    With these equations, I have two variables two equations, but I cannot figure out how/if it is possible to solve these to isolate a variable. I am guessing that there is probably an easier way to do this, so a small hint would be greatly appreciated!

thanks guys.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2010 #2
    Actually, after a bit more working through, I came up with a quadratic in terms of tan ( theta ) . The equation itself looks pretty nasty, but does this make sense? I have a tan^2, Tan, and then a constant, so it seems like it could definelty be a quadratic.

Any input apprecaited.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook