Projectile A - > B , two different angles

In summary, the problem involves determining the two angles, theta 1 and theta 2, when the muzzle velocity at A is Vo and A is separated from B by a distance L in the x direction and a height H. The important equations to consider are sin(theta1)Vo * t1 - gt1^2 = sin ( theta2 )Vo * t2 - gt2^2 and cos (theta1 )Vo * t1 = cos ( theta 2 )Vo * t2. After working through, the solution involves a quadratic equation in terms of tan ( theta ) with a tan^2, tan, and constant terms. Any further input would be appreciated.
lax1113

Homework Statement

Muzzle velocity at A = Vo. Determine the two angles, theta 1 and theta 2.

A is separated from B by a distance L in the x direction and a height H. (B is on a hill above A).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel that the important facts of this problem is that sin(theta1)Vo * t1 - gt1^2 = sin ( theta2 )Vo * t2 - gt2^2, since the y displacement for both projectiles are identical. Similarly, we have that the x projectiles are the same, so that cos (theta1 )Vo * t1 = cos ( theta 2 )Vo * t2.
With these equations, I have two variables two equations, but I cannot figure out how/if it is possible to solve these to isolate a variable. I am guessing that there is probably an easier way to do this, so a small hint would be greatly appreciated!

thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, after a bit more working through, I came up with a quadratic in terms of tan ( theta ) . The equation itself looks pretty nasty, but does this make sense? I have a tan^2, Tan, and then a constant, so it seems like it could definelty be a quadratic.

Any input apprecaited.

Related to Projectile A - > B , two different angles

1. What is a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is launched or thrown into the air and moves along a curved path due to the force of gravity acting upon it. This can include items such as a baseball, a bullet, or a rocket.

2. What is the difference between angle A and angle B for a projectile?

Angle A and angle B refer to the initial launch angles of the projectile. Angle A is the angle at which the projectile is launched with respect to the horizontal ground, while angle B is the angle at which the projectile is launched with respect to the vertical axis.

3. How does changing the launch angle affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The launch angle of a projectile greatly affects its trajectory. A higher launch angle will result in a longer flight time and a higher peak height, while a lower launch angle will result in a shorter flight time and a lower peak height.

4. What is the optimal launch angle for a projectile to travel the farthest distance?

The optimal launch angle for a projectile to travel the farthest distance is 45 degrees. This angle allows for the greatest horizontal distance to be covered while still maintaining a high enough launch angle to increase the flight time.

5. How do you calculate the range of a projectile with two different launch angles?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula R = (v^2/g)sin(2θ), where R is the range, v is the initial velocity of the projectile, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the launch angle. To calculate the range for two different launch angles, simply plug in the values for each angle into the equation and compare the results.