Projectile Maximum Height: True or False Explanation

• Thread starter sundrops
  • Start date
In summary, the maximum height reached by a projectile depends on the horizontal velocity component, with the horizontal and vertical components of velocity being independent. The force of gravity and the finite size and shape of the planet also play a role in this dependency. However, for the purposes of projectile motion as typically modeled in school, the independence of the horizontal and vertical components of velocity is the key concept to remember.
sundrops
The maximum height reached by a projectile depends on the horizontal velocity component.

True or False

Here's my reasoning - the maximum height is reached when y=0, so in that case the maximum height depends on the horizontal velocity component. I'd like to hear your guys thoughts on this. I only get 1 shot at getting this right so I want to hear what you guys think! :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
is it because of gravity?

Since it's the only force acting on the projectile (neglecting Magnus effect,aerodynamic force,Stokes force,Coriolis force) i'd say yes...

Daniel.

Yeah...the KEY point of projectile motion as modeled in school is that horizontal and vertical components of the projectile's velocity are independent. That's what they want you to remember.

alright thanks guys

dextercioby said:
Since it's the only force acting on the projectile (neglecting Magnus effect,aerodynamic force,Stokes force,Coriolis force) i'd say yes...

Daniel.

You left out the finite size of the planet which brings the inverse square law into play! :-)

He asked me about gravity,not the inverse square law and where it comes from...And besides,everything reduces to solving Einstein's equations,right...?? :wink:

Daniel.

Tide said:
You left out the finite size of the planet which brings the inverse square law into play! :-)

and to continue dexter's nitpicking, he also forgot to incorporate the fact that the Earth is not a perfect sphere...Where are them Legendre-terms in the potential ?

marlon

"The maximum height reached by a projectile depends on the horizontal velocity component."

Do you see any Earth nonspherical,here?

Daniel.

do you see any coriolis,blablabla here ?

gravity also changes when you take into account a non-spherical earth

marlon

The PLANET/celestial body (with atmosphere) A PRIORI SPHERICAL IS ASSUMED ROTATING...

I AGREE with the second part...

Daniel.

Related to Projectile Maximum Height: True or False Explanation

1. What is a simple true/false question?

A simple true/false question is a type of question that presents a statement and asks the respondent to choose between two possible answers: true or false. These types of questions are commonly used in tests, surveys, and quizzes.

2. How do I answer a simple true/false question?

To answer a simple true/false question, carefully read the statement and determine whether it is true or false. Then, select the corresponding answer and mark it on your test or survey. Make sure to read the question and all possible answers carefully, as sometimes the answer may not be as straightforward as it seems.

3. Can a simple true/false question have more than two answer options?

No, a simple true/false question can only have two answer options: true or false. These questions are designed to test your knowledge or understanding of a statement, and having more than two options would make it more difficult to determine the correct answer.

4. Are simple true/false questions easy to answer?

It depends on the individual's knowledge and understanding of the subject matter. Some people may find simple true/false questions easier to answer because they only have two options, while others may struggle with them if they are unsure about the statement presented.

5. How are simple true/false questions different from multiple-choice questions?

Simple true/false questions only have two possible answer options, while multiple-choice questions have three or more options. Additionally, simple true/false questions are designed to test a person's knowledge or understanding of a specific statement, while multiple-choice questions may test a broader range of knowledge on a particular topic.