Projectile motion and SUVAT equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the SUVAT equation in a projectile motion question where the angle of elevation is not given. The speaker initially used the SUVAT equation and arrived at the correct answer, but the mark scheme states that this equation cannot be used in this case. The correct approach is to use conservation of energy, which also leads to the SUVAT equation. The speaker realizes that adding the square of the horizontal component to both sides of the equation justifies its use. However, the mark scheme did not give marks for using SUVAT, so the speaker lost method marks. The conservation of energy approach is deemed neater, but the speaker overlooked it in this case due to the lack of a hint in the exam question.
mathsman
Attempting a projectile motion question where initial and final speed is given but angle of elevation isn't. Need to find an equation for the vertical distance H travelled. I got the right answer using v^2 = u^2 + 2as substituting s=H and a=-9.8.

However the mark scheme states that this SUVAT equation can't be used as this equation needs the vertical component of speed (as gravity only acts vertically) . The correct answer was to use conservation of energy principle ie initial KE = final KE + GPE. However if I use this energy equation I get the following: 1/2 mu^2 = 1/2 m v^2 - 2gH . Multiplying throughout by 2 and re-arranging this gives v^2 = u^2 + 2as ! In other words the conservation of energy equation gives me the SUVAT equation which I'm not supposed to use! Where is the mistake??

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Not really a mistake. It's that you haven't justified your use of the SUVAT formula. It does turn out to work fine in this case, but it's intended use is for motion along a line so the velocities are supposed to be the components along that line.

Likes mathsman
This is justified: ##v_y^2 = u_y^2 + 2as_y##

But since ##v_x = u_x##, you can add ##v_x^2 = u_x^2## to both sides, giving ##v^2 = u^2 + 2as_y##.

But conservation of energy gives it to you immediately.

Likes mathsman
Many thanks to you both. I think I may have done a similar question many years ago and remember using the standard v2=u2+2as equation but couldn't remember why it worked ! Obviously adding the square of the horizontal component to both sides makes it clear why it does in fact work. The mark scheme simply gave no marks for using SUVAT so although my calculated value for h was correct I lost method marks. Presumably if I had 'justified' why I could use it that would be ok (although I'm never sure how far examiners give marks for methods that aren't in the mark scheme!.

Having said that the conservation of energy approach is much neater anyway (dont know why I overlooked it! - normally exam questions hint at using conservation of energy principle but this time it ddn't!

Related to Projectile motion and SUVAT equations

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path called a parabola.

2. What is the SUVAT equation?

The SUVAT equations are a set of equations used to describe the motion of an object in a straight line with constant acceleration. They stand for displacement (s), initial velocity (u), final velocity (v), acceleration (a), and time (t).

3. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance it travels before hitting the ground. To calculate it, you can use the equation: range = (initial velocity)^2 * sin(2*angle of projection) / acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the relationship between initial velocity and range in projectile motion?

The initial velocity of a projectile has a direct impact on the range. The greater the initial velocity, the greater the range will be. This is because a higher initial velocity allows the projectile to travel further before being affected by gravity and falling to the ground.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can have a significant impact on the trajectory of a projectile. It can cause the projectile to deviate from its expected path and decrease its range. This effect is more noticeable at higher velocities and for objects with larger surface areas.