Solving Projectile Motion and Vectors Problems: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, if a bullet is fired horizontally and the target is 77m away from the muzzle, the gun must be aimed at a point above the target.
Gebs-

Homework Statement

A. If a bullet that leaves the muzzle of a gun at 281 m/s is to hit a target 77.0 m away at the level of the muzzle, the gun must be aimed at a point above the target. How far above the target is this point?

B. The coach throws a baseball to a player with an initial velocity of 27.0 m/s at an angle of 38.0° with the horizontal. At the moment the ball is thrown, the player is 73.10 m from the coach. At what velocity must the player run to catch the ball at the same height that the ball was released? Your result should be negative if the player is running towards the coach and positive if he is running away.

Homework Equations

A. d = v/t

B. R = (V0^2 * sin(2 * theta)) / g
t = 2v0y / g

The Attempt at a Solution

A. I'm really not too sure what to do with this one after I find the time. The only thing I could think of what be to relate the acceleration to that time, but I didn't come out with the right answer.

B. I'm pretty sure I have the right answer on this one, but the computer thinks otherwise. I found the range of the ball given the above equation, and then found the time after finding the velocity of v0y. From here, I subtracted the 73.10 from my range, and then divided that number by the time I got for the average velocity.

Keep in mind these were evidently wrong, but here were my numbers:

R = 72.1781
t = 3.3924
Velocity of the player = -0.272m/sAny help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
A.Why should the gun be aimed above the target if the target does not move at all>>>?

B.USE CONCEPT OF RELATIVE VELOCITY.

try doing both the ques using the above concepts and if you are still not able to do it..

then i shall do it for ya..

A. It needs to be aimed above the object due to gravity, of course, I'm just not sure how to incorporate it into an equation with the other givens.

B. Even using relative velocity I don't see how the answer could be different from the one I got. Maybe I just don't fully understand the concept of relative velocity, though, as we haven't really covered it all that much.

Thanks for the help.

my frnd..it should be not be aimed above..

how can you say that?

If the bullet is not fired at an angle ..then where does ''g" come into play?

THE ONLY CONSIDERATION HERE IS IF AT ALL..THAT ..DOES THE BULLET FALL SHORT OF TARGET OR NOT...

THINK IT THIS WAY^^^

It's not fired along the ground. If you read the question it says it hits the object 77m away at the exact level that the muzzle was fired. Therefore, gravity will be acting on it in context of the problem.

COME ON BUDDY...

understand the ques better...

So, you're saying gravity doesn't play a part in a horizontal launch assuming there is a height that the object is launched at? I'm pretty sure it does.

Although, I did try putting in that it did not need to be aimed above, but the answer was wrong.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities?

Scalar quantities only have magnitude (size), while vector quantities have both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalar quantities include speed and temperature, while examples of vector quantities include velocity and force.

3. How are vectors represented?

Vectors are typically represented graphically as arrows, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction. They can also be represented mathematically using coordinates or components.

4. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the trajectory of a projectile by slowing it down and changing its direction. This is due to the force of air pushing against the projectile in the opposite direction of its motion.

5. What is the formula for calculating the range of a projectile?

The formula for calculating the range (horizontal distance) of a projectile is R = (v2sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.