Projectile Motion Ball throw Question

In summary, someone throws a ball 1m from the ground at a 30 degree angle to the corner of the room 8m away and elevated by 1m. Find the initial velocity of the ball.
Coolguynice

Homework Statement

Someone throws a ball 1m from the ground at a 30 degree angle to the corner of the room 8m away and elevated by 1m. Find the initial velocity of the ball.

Homework Equations

s=ut+1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So i broke it up into vector components in order to find the time for each component, ihave this so far...
Vertical
0=u(cos30)t+1/2*-9.8*t^2
Horizontal
8=u(sin30)+1/2*0*t^2
I don't really know where to go from here after i have rearranged to find the time of each component, i thought i could use simultaneous equations to find the inital velocity but I'm unsure of how i would go about it and my algebra isn't too good.
Please let me know what you would do after this or if there is some formula i may have missed out on that could help me solve this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Coolguynice said:
elevated by 1m
Does that mean the corner is also 1m above the ground, like the point of projection? In that case, 8m distance becomes the range of projectile. Use the formula for range of projectile.

Coolguynice said:

Homework Statement

Someone throws a ball 1m from the ground at a 30 degree angle to the corner of the room 8m away and elevated by 1m. Find the initial velocity of the ball.

Homework Equations

s=ut+1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So i broke it up into vector components in order to find the time for each component, ihave this so far...
Vertical
0=u(cos30)t+1/2*-9.8*t^2
Horizontal
8=u(sin30)+1/2*0*t^2
I don't really know where to go from here after i have rearranged to find the time of each component, i thought i could use simultaneous equations to find the inital velocity but I'm unsure of how i would go about it and my algebra isn't too good.
Please let me know what you would do after this or if there is some formula i may have missed out on that could help me solve this question.
Are you sure you used the correct components for the initial velocity in the vertical and horizontal directions?

Draw a picture.

SteamKing said:
Are you sure you used the correct components for the initial velocity in the vertical and horizontal directions?

Draw a picture.

Yeaaa you made an error with the components on the vertical and horizontal directions. Drawing a diagram for the components always helps. Make it a habit to make sure your components are right.

Related to Projectile Motion Ball throw Question

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air that is subject to a constant gravitational force. It follows a curved path due to the combination of its initial velocity and the downward force of gravity.

2. How does the angle of projection affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The angle of projection, or the angle at which a projectile is launched, directly affects its trajectory. The higher the angle, the longer the projectile will stay in the air and the further it will travel. A lower angle will result in a shorter flight and a shorter distance traveled.

3. What factors affect the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is affected by its initial velocity, angle of projection, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and wind can also have an impact on the range of a projectile.

4. How does the mass of a projectile affect its motion?

The mass of a projectile does not affect its motion. As long as the initial velocity and angle of projection are the same, two projectiles of different masses will follow the same trajectory. However, a heavier projectile may be more resistant to air resistance and wind, and therefore may have a slightly longer range.

5. Can a projectile return to its initial height?

In a vacuum, a projectile will return to its initial height. However, in real-life scenarios, air resistance and other external factors will cause a projectile to lose energy and therefore not reach its initial height. The projectile may come close to its initial height, but it will never reach it exactly.