Projectile motion equation stuck downwards velocity and angle

In summary, a projectile motion is fired horizontally from the top of a 196m cliff at a velocity of 150ms-1. Other known figures include a time of flight of 6.32s, a range of 948m, a vertical displacement of 196m, and acceleration due to gravity of -9.8ms-1. The calculated velocity vector is 150i-62j (rounded to 62), providing the magnitude and angle of the velocity.
emvizzle
1. A projectile motion is fired horizontally at 150ms-1 from the top of a 196m high cliff. Calculate its velocity on hitting the ground.

2. Okay so I've already discovered its time of flight t = 6.32s and its range Δx = 948m.
Other figures are Δy= 196m, ay= -9.8ms-1, ux=150ms-1, Vy= 0ms-1, uy= 61.96ms-1

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey.All your answers are spot on .

The velocity vector is 150i-62j

(rounding 61.96 as 62).

So you have the velocity vector.You can find the magnitude of velocity (which I think the question meant by asking the velocity.Speed would have been a better term)and the angle it makes with the horizontal.

Related to Projectile motion equation stuck downwards velocity and angle

What is the equation for projectile motion?

The equation for projectile motion is y = y0 + v0sinθt - 1/2gt2, where y is the vertical position, y0 is the initial vertical position, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, t is the time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What does it mean for a projectile to be stuck downwards?

A projectile is considered to be stuck downwards when its vertical velocity is constantly directed downwards. This means that it is not able to reach a maximum height and will continue to fall towards the ground.

How does the angle of launch affect projectile motion?

The angle of launch greatly affects projectile motion. A higher launch angle will result in a greater vertical displacement, while a lower launch angle will result in a shorter vertical displacement. Additionally, the angle of launch can affect the horizontal displacement and the overall trajectory of the projectile.

What is the role of velocity in projectile motion?

Velocity plays a crucial role in projectile motion. The initial velocity determines the direction and speed of the projectile at the beginning of its motion. The velocity also affects the overall trajectory and distance traveled by the projectile.

How can I solve for the angle of launch in a projectile motion problem?

To solve for the angle of launch in a projectile motion problem, you can use the equation θ = arctan(v0sinθ / (v0cosθ - gt)). This equation can be rearranged and solved for θ using algebraic methods.