Projectile Motion, Find initial velocity knowing x & y dist and time.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the initial velocity of a football player's punt based on given parameters such as time of flight and horizontal distance. The equations used in projectile motion are mentioned and the process of finding the initial velocity is described. The final solution of 24m/s is achieved by solving for v_0 and then using that to find the angle and substituting it into the horizontal distance formula.
d3nat

Homework Statement

A football player punts the football so that it will have a time of flight = 4.5s and land 45.7m away. The ball leaves the player's foot 1.52 m above ground.

What is initial velocity? (Magnitude and direction)

Homework Equations

x-x_0 = v_0 * cosθ * t
y-y_0 = v_0 * sinθ * t - 1/2 *g*t^2

v_y = v_0 * sinθ - g*t
v_y^2 = (v_0*sinθ)^2 - 2g(y-y_0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stumped. I can do projectile motion questions, but everytime I have to find initial velocity, I never wind up with the correct answer.

All of the above involve knowing the angle.

I thought maybe θ = tan-1(y/x) but that gives me the wrong angle since that's the angle if the ball was thrown to the ground instead of kicked.

I thought maybe finding the max y height (setting v_y = 0) to solve for angle, but that also involves knowing the angle already.

Help?

Any tips on solving initial velocity questions? I always get stumped on these type. Sigh.

Physics news on Phys.org
AHAH!

I figured it out :)

Two equations, two unknowns. I solved in terms of v_0, then used that to find my angle (64.9 degrees), then substituted that angle into my horizontal distance formula to find the initial velocity = 24m/s

I feel somewhat silly for having such a hard time with this :/

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the movement of an object through the air, under the influence of gravity. It is a combination of horizontal and vertical motion.

2. How do you find the initial velocity of a projectile knowing the x and y distances and time?

To find the initial velocity of a projectile, you can use the equations of motion: x = v0t + 1/2at2 and y = v0t + 1/2at2. Plug in the given values for x, y, and t, and solve for v0.

3. Can you determine the initial velocity of a projectile without knowing the time?

No, the time is a crucial component in determining the initial velocity of a projectile. Without it, you cannot accurately calculate the velocity.

4. Is the initial velocity of a projectile always constant?

Yes, the initial velocity of a projectile is always constant. This means that the object will travel at the same speed and in the same direction throughout its motion.

5. What factors can affect the initial velocity of a projectile?

The initial velocity of a projectile can be affected by factors such as air resistance, wind, and launch angle. These factors can change the velocity and direction of the projectile's motion.