1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion, Find initial velocity knowing x & y dist and time.

1. Jul 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A football player punts the football so that it will have a time of flight = 4.5s and land 45.7m away. The ball leaves the player's foot 1.52 m above ground.

What is initial velocity? (Magnitude and direction)

2. Relevant equations

x-x_0 = v_0 * cosθ * t
    y-y_0 = v_0 * sinθ * t - 1/2 *g*t^2

v_y = v_0 * sinθ - g*t
    v_y^2 = (v_0*sinθ)^2 - 2g(y-y_0)

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm stumped. I can do projectile motion questions, but everytime I have to find initial velocity, I never wind up with the correct answer.

All of the above involve knowing the angle.

I thought maybe θ = tan-1(y/x) but that gives me the wrong angle since that's the angle if the ball was thrown to the ground instead of kicked.

I thought maybe finding the max y height (setting v_y = 0) to solve for angle, but that also involves knowing the angle already.

Help?

Any tips on solving initial velocity questions? I always get stumped on these type. Sigh.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2012 #2
    AHAH!

I figured it out :)

Two equations, two unknowns. I solved in terms of v_0, then used that to find my angle (64.9 degrees), then substituted that angle into my horizontal distance formula to find the initial velocity = 24m/s

I feel somewhat silly for having such a hard time with this :/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook