Projectile motion firehose question

In summary, the problem involves a pilot practicing dropping a canister from a plane in a horizontal path at a speed of 69.0 m/s and an altitude of 86.0 m. By using the constant acceleration equations, the pilot can find the time it takes for the canister to reach the ground, which is 4.189 seconds. The acceleration along the x-axis is 0, so the pilot should release the canister at 203.05 m from the target in order to hit the target on the ground.
Crusaderking1

Homework Statement

In fighting forest fires, airplanes work in support of ground crews by dropping water on the fires. A pilot is practicing by dropping a canister of red dye, hoping to hit a target on the ground below.

if the plane is flying in a horizontal path at an altitude of 86.0 m above the ground and with a speed of 69.0 m/s, at what horizontal distance from the target should the pilot release the canister? Ignore air resistance.

Homework Equations

Any constant acceleration equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

ax=0
ay=-9.80

Xo= 0
Yo=86.0

Voy=0
Vox= 69.0

Vx=69.0
Vy=

y=0
x=

I first found Ttotal by using the equation 0-86.0=0+.5(-9.80)(t^2).

t = 4.189 seconds.

then I found Vy.

Vy= 0+(-9.8)(4.189)

Vy= -41.052

Then I realized finding Vy was a complete waste of time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Then I tried to find x.

x-0 = (69.0)(4.189)+.5(-9.8)(4.189)^2

x = 203.05 m/s?

Does this look right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are right down to where you found T total. In your last equation where you are calculating the value for x, you use an acceleration of -9.8. What is the acceleration along the x axis?(hint, you answered this when you state your value for ax.)

bacon said:
You are right down to where you found T total. In your last equation where you are calculating the value for x, you use an acceleration of -9.8. What is the acceleration along the x axis?(hint, you answered this when you state your value for ax.)

Oh, thanks for the catch, I really appreciate it!

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is propelled into the air and moves under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How does a firehose demonstrate projectile motion?

A firehose demonstrates projectile motion because the water being expelled from the hose is propelled into the air and falls under the influence of gravity, following a parabolic path.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a firehose's water stream?

The trajectory of a firehose's water stream is affected by the angle at which the hose is held, the force of the water being expelled, and the effects of air resistance.

4. Can the trajectory of a firehose's water stream be controlled?

Yes, the trajectory of a firehose's water stream can be controlled by adjusting the angle at which the hose is held. A higher angle will result in a higher trajectory, while a lower angle will result in a lower trajectory.

5. How does understanding projectile motion help in real-world applications?

Understanding projectile motion can help in real-world applications such as engineering and sports. For example, engineers use projectile motion to design structures like bridges and athletes use it to improve their throwing and kicking skills.