Projectile Motion Golf Question

In summary, at the Canadian Open Golf Tournament, Tiger Woods hit a tee shot off of a young spectator's head with a velocity of 32 m/s at a 25 degree angle. The ball bounced off at a 22 degree angle with a speed of 25 m/s. The average acceleration of the ball as it returned to the fairway was calculated by finding the change in velocity over the time in contact with the boy's head. While in free flight, the horizontal velocity remains constant, but during contact with the head, the acceleration is affected by the change in angle and can be calculated by considering the vertical and horizontal components of the motion.
michaeljf

Homework Statement

Not too long ago, an interesting thing happened at the Canadian Open Golf Tournament. Tiger Woods bounced his tee shot off of a young spectator’s head in the last round of the tournament. The ball made contact for 0.08 seconds, and struck the boy’s head at a velocity of 32 m/s, 25degree from a tangent on the surface of his cranium. It bounced off at an angle of 22degree, with a speed of 25 m/s. What was the average acceleration of the ball as it amazingly made its way back onto the fairway?

I have no idea on how to start this.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the difference between the final velocity of the ball and its initial velocity? Remember that acceleration is just change in velocity divided by change in time.

Welcome to PF, Michael.
Not a particularly clear question! I would be tempted to answer that the acceleration is -9.81 m/s² as it "makes its way back onto the fairway" but I suppose the question really means the acceleration while in contact with the boy's head. There are 2D directions involved so you need a diagram sorting out those angles and you need to calculate the acceleration in each of the two dimensions and then get a combined value. Just use a = Δv/Δt.

Delphi51 said:
Welcome to PF, Michael.
Not a particularly clear question! I would be tempted to answer that the acceleration is -9.81 m/s² as it "makes its way back onto the fairway" but I suppose the question really means the acceleration while in contact with the boy's head. There are 2D directions involved so you need a diagram sorting out those angles and you need to calculate the acceleration in each of the two dimensions and then get a combined value. Just use a = Δv/Δt.

I thought in projectile motion, the horizontal velocity does not change, thus a = 0 and its 9.81 for the vertical component?

That's true for the free flight (neglecting air resistance).
But my theory is that you are asked for the acceleration when the head is exerting a force on the ball. I haven't drawn the diagram, but since the angle with the head changes, I suspect the ball changes speed in both the direction perpendicular to the head and the direction parallel to it.

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and then moves along a curved path due to the force of gravity.

How does projectile motion relate to golf?

In golf, projectile motion is used to describe the path of a golf ball after it has been hit by a club. The ball follows a parabolic trajectory until it reaches the ground.

What factors affect the trajectory of a golf ball?

The trajectory of a golf ball is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity of the ball, the angle at which it is launched, and the force of gravity.

How can I calculate the distance a golf ball will travel?

To calculate the distance a golf ball will travel, you can use the equation d = v0 * t * cos(θ), where d is the distance, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and θ is the launch angle.

How can I improve my golf swing to achieve a better projectile motion?

To improve your golf swing and achieve a better projectile motion, you can work on your technique and form, as well as factors such as club selection, grip, and stance. It is also important to practice regularly and analyze your shots to identify areas for improvement.