1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion Lab

1. Sep 17, 2012 #1
    Projectile Motion Lab!! PLEASE HELP THIS IS FOR TOMORROW.

I am a high school student in Grade 12.

We are currently doing projectile motion. We are using a marble. The teacher said that we should neglect air resistance because it is a very heavy marble. The marble, in the projector, is sitting at 36.5 cm. There is no given angle because we will get one tomorrow. We need to launch the marble into a Styrofoam cup. We do not know what height the Styrofoam cup will be.

If you could help me out with a formula, that would be great.

Thank you.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2012 #2
    Re: Projectile Motion Lab!!

Have you learn calculus?
    a(t)=g where g is constant.
    Intergate twice with respect of time you get displacement equation.

For horizontal motion, g=0.

Add:
    Have you learn about vectors?
    In physics, all calculations normally involve vectors.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  4. Sep 18, 2012 #3
    Re: Projectile Motion Lab!!

I will not provide you with a formula but I'll help you derive one. For starters, you can assume the horizontal velocity of the marble is constant. Therefore, if you know how long it is in the air, you can determine its range.

Your first step is to determine the time of flight. It's a function of initial velocity, the height at which the projectile was released, and the angle of release.

If you are not given the initial velocity, you will have to determine that as well. Calculus, per se, is not needed to solve this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook