Projectile Motion launch angles

In summary, the problem involves finding the launch angle in degrees for a projectile that has a maximum height that is four times its horizontal range. The equations used to solve the problem are h_{max}=\frac{V^{2}_{0}sin^{2}\theta}{2g} and Range=\frac{V^{2}_{0}sin2\theta}{g}, and the attempt at a solution involved setting h=4R and using trigonometric functions to solve for the launch angle, resulting in an answer of 86.42 degrees. However, it was later discovered that there was a discrepancy in the problem statement and the actual answer was 38.66 degrees.
Jon.G

Homework Statement

A projectile is fired in such a way that its maximum height is a factor of 4 times its
horizontal range. Find the launch angle in degrees

Homework Equations

[itex]h_{max}=\frac{V^{2}_{0}sin^{2}\theta}{2g}
Range=\frac{V^{2}_{0}sin2\theta}{g}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I set h=4R giving
[itex]sin^{2}(\theta)=8sin(2\theta); [/itex]
[itex]sin^{2}(\theta)=16sin(\theta)cos(\theta); [/itex]
[itex]sin(\theta)=16cos(\theta); [/itex]
[itex]tan(\theta)=16 [/itex]
[itex]\theta=86^{o} [/itex]
but the answer is apparently 38.66 degrees.

So I assumed that I had misinterpreted the question, and in fact R=4h, however doing this I got an angle of 45 degrees.
I'm not sure where I've gone wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jon.G. Welcome to Physics Forums.

Given the problem statement as it stands your interpretation and calculations look fine to me (using a bit more precision, θ = 86.42°). Are you quoting the problem statement exactly? It could be that they changed the problem statement slightly, to make it a "new" question, but failed to change the answer key.

I emailed my tutor and that is exactly what happened :)

1. What is the ideal launch angle for maximum distance in projectile motion?

The ideal launch angle for maximum distance in projectile motion is 45 degrees. This angle allows for the perfect balance between horizontal and vertical velocity, resulting in the longest possible distance traveled by the projectile.

2. How does the launch angle affect the range of a projectile?

The launch angle directly affects the range of a projectile. A lower launch angle will result in a shorter range, as the projectile will have a larger vertical component of velocity and less horizontal component. Conversely, a higher launch angle will result in a longer range as the projectile will have a smaller vertical component and a larger horizontal component of velocity.

3. Is it possible to have the same range for different launch angles?

Yes, it is possible to have the same range for different launch angles. This occurs when two different launch angles result in the same horizontal and vertical components of velocity, leading to the same range. However, the time of flight and maximum height of the projectile will be different for these launch angles.

4. How does air resistance affect the ideal launch angle?

Air resistance can slightly alter the ideal launch angle for maximum distance. In general, air resistance will cause the ideal launch angle to be slightly lower than 45 degrees, as it will decrease the horizontal velocity of the projectile. However, the difference is usually minimal and 45 degrees is still a good approximation for the ideal launch angle.

5. Can the launch angle affect the shape of the projectile's trajectory?

Yes, the launch angle can affect the shape of the projectile's trajectory. A lower launch angle will result in a more parabolic trajectory, while a higher launch angle will result in a flatter trajectory. This is because the vertical component of velocity will be greater for a lower launch angle, causing the projectile to spend more time in the air and follow a more curved path.