Solving a Long Jump Problem: Find Takeoff Speed & Increase Jump Distance

In summary, the conversation is about an individual seeking help with a physics problem regarding a long jump. They ask for assistance in finding the takeoff speed and how much longer the jump would be if the speed was increased by 5%. The conversation also discusses using kinematic equations and the 30 degree angle to solve the problem. Eventually, the individual calculates the time of flight and vertical velocity to find the answer.
jonnyboy261
hey guys imm new here
i got a question in my book i can't figure out
it says:
an athlete executing a long jump leaves the ground at a 30 degree angle and travels
7.80m (a) what was the takeoff speed? (b) if this speed were increased just 5.0 % how much longer would the jump be?

anyone kno how to do this
i tried using the kinematic equations but ther isn't enuf info
please help if u know the answer.
thanks a lot !

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start out by splitting the problem up into 2 parts: Horizontal motion & Vertical motion. From here, you will have 2 equations with 2 unknowns.

i know to do that.. but i still don't get how u can use the equations when u only have the horizontal displacement of 7.80 m ? how do i use the 30 degree angle to find anything?

You can calculate the time of flight.

If you have a horizontal displacement of 7.8 metres you can use symmetry to find where the highest point is - this is also half way through the flight.

The vertical velocity here is zero.

The 30 degree angle let's you split the flight into its horizontal and vertical components.

ok so i plugged 3.9 m and 0m/s into the displacement equation so it makes t=.892s
and then i found out Vi for vertical is 8.74 m/s
then i used SOH to find the hyponuse to be equal to 17.48 by dividing 8.74 by sin30
is this the right answer?

Last edited:
Why did you use 0m/s?

What is the purpose of solving a long jump problem?

The purpose of solving a long jump problem is to determine the optimal takeoff speed and technique that will result in the furthest jump distance. This can help athletes improve their performance and reach their full potential in the long jump event.

What factors affect the takeoff speed and jump distance in a long jump?

The takeoff speed and jump distance in a long jump can be affected by various factors such as the athlete's strength and power, their technique and form, the angle of the jump, and external factors such as wind and surface conditions.

How can takeoff speed be calculated in a long jump?

Takeoff speed can be calculated by using the equation v = √(g*d), where v is the takeoff speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and d is the jump distance. This equation assumes that the athlete's horizontal and vertical velocities are equal at takeoff.

How can the jump distance be increased in a long jump?

The jump distance in a long jump can be increased by improving the athlete's technique and form, increasing their strength and power through training, and optimizing their takeoff speed. Proper warm-up, stretching, and plyometric exercises can also help improve performance and increase jump distance.

Why is it important to have a consistent takeoff speed in a long jump?

Having a consistent takeoff speed is important in a long jump because it helps the athlete maintain a consistent trajectory and control their landing. A consistent takeoff speed also allows the athlete to focus on perfecting their technique, resulting in a more efficient and powerful jump.