1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion with Air Resistance (Position function?)

1. Mar 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

There is no real problem statement for this problem, except that I'm trying to figure out an equation for the position of a projectile with air resistance. It's for a physical model of a toy gun, fired at 0° from the horizontal at a height of 1m. I'm considering only air resistance due to motion in the x direction.

2. Relevant equations

Using F=k*v^2 and k=0.5*Cd*A*p. I set up a differential equation (dv/dt = -(k/m)v^2) and solved with the initial condition V(0)= v (muzzle velocity) to get V(t) = (m/k)*(1/(t+(m/(v*k)))). In this, m is the projectile mass, t is time, v is muzzle velocity.

However, I'm having trouble integrating this with respect to t to find position as a function of time. I think some of the problem may lie in the fact that the function I have for velocity integrates the initial velocity into it, so that V(0) = v.

If nothing else, I could estimate it in a calculus-less manner.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted