Science Fair Air Cannon Help

GinaMitchell
Homework Statement
Hi - I built an air cannon to launch a fishing lure for my science fair project. The air cannon launched a 1/4 oz lure 31.4 meters. Based on this, I calculated the initial velocity to be 17.54 m/s using the formula for range of a projectile. I want to be able to launch the lure 38.5 meters. I am trying to figure out how much PSI I would need to launch it 38.5 meters. Does anyone know an equation I can use to predict this? I used 100 PSI to launch it 31.4 meters. The barrel of the air cannon is 25 inches.
Relevant Equations
range of a projectile
Hi - I built an air cannon to launch a fishing lure for my science fair project. The air cannon launched a 1/4 oz lure 31.4 meters. Based on this, I calculated the initial velocity to be 17.54 m/s using the formula for range of a projectile. I want to be able to launch the lure 38.5 meters. I am trying to figure out how much PSI I would need to launch it 38.5 meters. Does anyone know an equation I can use to predict this? I used 100 PSI to launch it 31.4 meters. The barrel of the air cannon is 25 inches.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would first look at small changes in angle (45 deg might not be optimal when drag is included) and small changes to barrel length. This would be interesting data and you might be surprised. Is the lure "self sealing" in the barrel? How about a sabot? 100psi is the typical max for an amateur system.

• Informative
Likes berkeman