Finding the Final Speed of a Golf Ball Projected at an Angle

In summary, to find the speed of a golf ball at the instant it lands at point A, given its initial speed and the distance it travels, you can use the kinematic equations and the fact that there is no change in the x component of the velocity. Using this method, the speed of the golf ball is found to be approximately 32.83 m/s.
Ihsahn
Ok, having studied projectiles over the past few weeks, reaching the "Equation for the path of a projectile stage," I've been presented with the following question. As far as I can see, there isn't enough info to answer the question (unless, of course, its one of those simultaneous equation ones, or I've missed something obvious)

A golf ball is struck from a point O, leaving O with a speed of 21 root 2 m/s. The ball lands, without previously bouncing, at a point A, which is 10 metres below the horizontal plane through O. Find the speed of the ball at the instant it lands at A

In the question, g (Gravity) is taken to be equal to 9.8m/s^2...

Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are several ways to solve this. If you've covered conservation of energy, use it.

Assuming you haven't, then considered the x and y components of the velocity separately. And realize that [itex]V^2=V_x^2+V_y^2[/itex].

Originally posted by Ihsahn
A golf ball is struck from a point O, leaving O with a speed of 21 root 2 m/s.

Excuse me, but I'm not familiar with the expression 21 root 2. What is it?

Originally posted by Julian Solos
Excuse me, but I'm not familiar with the expression 21 root 2. What is it?

Sorry if that was unclear, I meant 21 multiplied by the square root of 2.

Doc Al, I don't quite follow... we haven't covered conservation of energy... and I'm unsure how to obtain the x and y components given that we have no angle of projection? Forgive me if its something obvious or simple.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Ihsahn
Doc Al, I don't quite follow... we haven't covered conservation of energy... and I'm unsure how to obtain the x and y components given that we have no angle of projection?
You don't have to know the angle. Call the components [itex]V_x[/itex] and [itex]V_y[/itex]. Now write down the final values of those velocity components. Try it and see what you get. (Hint: Use [itex]V_f^2=V_i^2+2as[/itex].)

Again, sorry if this sounds stupid;

We've always evaluated (for example) [itex]V_x[/itex] as [itex]V cos[/itex] a and [itex]V_y[/itex] as [itex]V sin[/itex] a ??

The only thing I can think of from your suggestion is the use of trig identities? Do they play a part?

I'm obviously missing something...

No trig needed. Do you agree that [itex]V^2=V_x^2+V_y^2[/itex]?

So do the following...

1) Find [itex]V_{y,f}^2[/itex] in terms of [itex]V_{y,i}[/itex], [itex]a[/itex], and [itex]\Delta y[/itex] using the kinematic equation given earlier.

2) Realize that [itex]V_x^2[/itex] is a constant.

3) Add these to get [itex]V_f^2[/itex].

A solution (I think )follows. If you don't want to see it, ignore this post.

Denote the initial velocity of the golf ball [tex]V_{0}[/tex] and the final velocity [tex]V[/tex].

We have a relation

[tex] V_{0}^2 = V_{x0}^2 + V_{y0}^2[/tex].

Substituting [tex] V_{0} = 21 \sqrt {2}[/tex],

we have

[tex] 882 = V_{x0}^2 + V_{y0}^2[/tex].

Therefore,

[tex] V_{y0}^2 = 882 - V_{x0}^2[/tex].

Ignoring the effect of friction, the [tex]x[/tex] component of the speed of the golf ball remains unchanged throughout its flight.

Thus,

[tex]V_{x0} = V_{x}[/tex].

The [tex]y[/tex] component of the final speed of the golf ball upon landing is obtained from the following relation:

[tex]V_{y}^2 = V_{y0}^2 + 2g (10 \mbox{m})[/tex]
[tex] = (882 - V_{x0}^2) + 196[/tex]
[tex] = 1078 - V_{x0}^2[/tex]
[tex] = 1078 - V_{x}^2[/tex].

[tex]V^2 = V_{x}^2 + V_{y}^2[/tex]
[tex] = V_{x}^2 + (1078 - V_{x}^2)[/tex]
[tex] = 1078[/tex].

[tex]V = \sqrt {1078}[/tex]
[tex] = 32.83 \ \mbox{m/s}[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is the ideal launch angle for a golf ball?

The ideal launch angle for a golf ball is around 12-15 degrees. This allows for the ball to travel the farthest distance while maintaining a stable trajectory.

2. How does air resistance affect the flight of a golf ball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly impact the flight of a golf ball. It can cause the ball to slow down and lose distance, especially at higher speeds and longer distances.

3. What factors determine the maximum distance a golf ball can travel?

The maximum distance a golf ball can travel is determined by factors such as initial velocity, launch angle, air resistance, and the composition of the ball itself. Other external factors like wind and elevation can also play a role.

4. Why do golfers use different clubs for different shots?

Golfers use different clubs for different shots because each club has a specific design and angle of the face, which can affect the trajectory and distance of the ball. For example, a driver has a lower loft and is used for longer shots, while a wedge has a higher loft and is used for shorter shots near the green.

5. How does the dimple pattern on a golf ball affect its flight?

The dimple pattern on a golf ball helps reduce air resistance and allows for a more stable flight. The dimples create a thin layer of air around the ball, reducing drag and allowing it to travel farther. Without dimples, a golf ball would not be able to travel as far. Different dimple patterns can also affect the spin and trajectory of the ball.