1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectiles - golf ball

1. Jan 22, 2004 #1
    Ok, having studied projectiles over the past few weeks, reaching the "Equation for the path of a projectile stage," I've been presented with the following question. As far as I can see, there isn't enough info to answer the question (unless, of course, its one of those simultaneous equation ones, or I've missed something obvious)

A golf ball is struck from a point O, leaving O with a speed of 21 root 2 m/s. The ball lands, without previously bouncing, at a point A, which is 10 metres below the horizontal plane through O. Find the speed of the ball at the instant it lands at A

In the question, g (Gravity) is taken to be equal to 9.8m/s^2...

Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

There are several ways to solve this. If you've covered conservation of energy, use it.

Assuming you haven't, then considered the x and y components of the velocity separately. And realize that [itex]V^2=V_x^2+V_y^2[/itex].

4. Jan 22, 2004 #3
    Re: Projectiles

Excuse me, but I'm not familiar with the expression 21 root 2. What is it?

5. Jan 22, 2004 #4
    Sorry if that was unclear, I meant 21 multiplied by the square root of 2.

Doc Al, I don't quite follow... we haven't covered conservation of energy... and I'm unsure how to obtain the x and y components given that we have no angle of projection? Forgive me if its something obvious or simple.

Thanks.

6. Jan 22, 2004 #5

Doc Al

You don't have to know the angle. Call the components [itex]V_x[/itex] and [itex]V_y[/itex]. Now write down the final values of those velocity components. Try it and see what you get. (Hint: Use [itex]V_f^2=V_i^2+2as[/itex].)

7. Jan 22, 2004 #6
    Again, sorry if this sounds stupid;

We've always evaluated (for example) [itex]V_x[/itex] as [itex]V cos[/itex] a and [itex]V_y[/itex] as [itex]V sin[/itex] a ??

The only thing I can think of from your suggestion is the use of trig identities? Do they play a part?

I'm obviously missing something...

8. Jan 22, 2004 #7

Doc Al

No trig needed. Do you agree that [itex]V^2=V_x^2+V_y^2[/itex]?

So do the following...

1) Find [itex]V_{y,f}^2[/itex] in terms of [itex]V_{y,i}[/itex], [itex]a[/itex], and [itex]\Delta y[/itex] using the kinematic equation given earlier.

2) Realize that [itex]V_x^2[/itex] is a constant.

3) Add these to get [itex]V_f^2[/itex].

9. Jan 22, 2004 #8
    A solution (I think )follows. If you don't want to see it, ignore this post.

Denote the initial velocity of the golf ball [tex]V_{0}[/tex] and the final velocity [tex]V[/tex].

We have a relation

[tex] V_{0}^2 = V_{x0}^2 + V_{y0}^2[/tex].

Substituting [tex] V_{0} = 21 \sqrt {2}[/tex],

we have

[tex] 882 = V_{x0}^2 + V_{y0}^2[/tex].

Therefore,

[tex] V_{y0}^2 = 882 - V_{x0}^2[/tex].

Ignoring the effect of friction, the [tex]x[/tex] component of the speed of the golf ball remains unchanged throughout its flight.

Thus,

[tex]V_{x0} = V_{x}[/tex].

The [tex]y[/tex] component of the final speed of the golf ball upon landing is obtained from the following relation:

[tex]V_{y}^2 = V_{y0}^2 + 2g (10 \mbox{m})[/tex]
    [tex] = (882 - V_{x0}^2) + 196[/tex]
    [tex] = 1078 - V_{x0}^2[/tex]
    [tex] = 1078 - V_{x}^2[/tex].

[tex]V^2 = V_{x}^2 + V_{y}^2[/tex]
    [tex] = V_{x}^2 + (1078 - V_{x}^2)[/tex]
    [tex] = 1078[/tex].

[tex]V = \sqrt {1078}[/tex]
    [tex] = 32.83 \ \mbox{m/s}[/tex]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?