Projector Optics: Calculate Distances & Find Magnification

In summary, the conversation is about someone needing help designing a projector using a Fresnel lens and projection lens. They need to find and derive equations for the lenses, calculate distances between them and the screen, and determine the net magnification factor. They are specifically looking for help with finding d2 and d3 and determining the object distance for the second lens. Despite asking for help multiple times, they have not received any responses from experts with experience in Fresnel lenses.
sharp81
hi,
i am in need of help pretty quickly here.i will have to design a projector design using a fresnel lens and the projection lens.i need to find and derive the equations for the lenses and calculate the distances between the lenses and the lens and the screen.
this is what i require to have :
d1 - distance from the light source to the fresnel lens
d2 - distance between the fresnel and the projection lens
d3 - distance between the projection lens and the screen
f1,f2 - focal lengths of the fresnel lens
f3,f4 - focal lengths of the projection lens
In my case i know the values of the focal lengths and the distance between the light source and the fresnel lens.

i will have to find d2 and d3. also i need to find the net magnification factor for the light source which will be my object.
any help will be greatly appreciated.
harish

Physics news on Phys.org
can someone please help me with the porblem mentioned.
thank you
sharp

please help me as soon as possible.otherwise i am in very big trouble

37 views and still no reply.but i guess i can't expect people to help me out with this.It's just that i am desperate.
So may be some one could tell me what the image distance will be in the case of the fresnel lens - to the screen or to the projection lens

please help guys and gals

after visiting this thread the first time i thought my problem is going to get solved within a couple of days.But looks i am the unlucky person in this board whose posts are going completely unnoticed by the experts

In case of the fresnel lens it is giving out parallel beam of light so should i have to take the object distance to be infinity for the second lens which is the objective lens as it is getting the parallel beam incident on it.or shld be the distance from the fresnel lens as the object distance.

It would appear that not too many people here have experience with Fresnel lenses. You might have to dig into a good optics text!

Thanks but then again none of the optics texts have anything related to this.

Related to Projector Optics: Calculate Distances & Find Magnification

1. How do I calculate the distance between the projector and the screen?

The distance between the projector and the screen can be calculated using the formula: Distance = (Screen Width x Projector Throw Ratio) / 12. The projector throw ratio can be found in the projector's specifications.

2. What is the magnification of a projector?

The magnification of a projector is the ratio between the size of the image projected on the screen and the size of the actual image. It can be calculated by dividing the distance between the projector and the screen by the focal length of the projector lens.

3. How do I find the focal length of a projector lens?

The focal length of a projector lens can be found in the projector's specifications or by measuring the distance between the lens and the projected image. It is usually measured in millimeters (mm).

4. Can I adjust the magnification of a projector?

Yes, the magnification of a projector can be adjusted by changing the distance between the projector and the screen. Moving the projector closer to the screen will result in a larger image, while moving it further away will result in a smaller image.

5. How accurate are the calculations for projector optics?

The calculations for projector optics are based on mathematical formulas and are generally accurate. However, factors such as the quality of the lens and the ambient lighting in the room can affect the final result. It is always recommended to test and adjust the projector settings for the best image quality.