Proof of Ampere's Circuital Law: Using the Biot-Savart Law

In summary, Ampère's circuital law is an empirically measured law and there is no mathematical proof for it. It is one of Maxwell's equations, which were all obtained through experiments. While some physical laws may have more empirical reasoning behind them, there is never a 100% empirical reasoning for any physical law. It can also be derived using the Biot-Savart law and the law of continuity.
transparent
Where can I find a proof for the Ampere Circuital law? Wherever I look, I just find a proof for an infinitely long current carrying conductor.:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no proof for it, it is an empirically measured law.

DaleSpam said:
There is no proof for it, it is an empirically measured law.

So is it an axiom? I always thought they declared a law only after some mathematical proof. I mean, for all we know, the experiment might be erroneous.

Edit:Were all Maxwell's equations experimentally determined? Gauss's law seems pretty intuitive. I can't understand the others.

There is no way to mathematically prove how the universe works. It simply isn't possible. All of Maxwells equations were obtained through experiment, as were all other physical theories.

transparent said:
So is it an axiom? I always thought they declared a law only after some mathematical proof. I mean, for all we know, the experiment might be erroneous.

Edit:Were all Maxwell's equations experimentally determined? Gauss's law seems pretty intuitive. I can't understand the others.

Ampère's circuital law is the magnetic version of Gauss's law, if Gauss's law is intuitive, why isn't Ampère's?

DaleSpam said:
There is no way to mathematically prove how the universe works. It simply isn't possible. All of Maxwells equations were obtained through experiment, as were all other physical theories.

I suppose you are right. I always imagined that the basic axioms of the universe would be much simpler than this.:frown:

Astrum said:
Ampère's circuital law is the magnetic version of Gauss's law, if Gauss's law is intuitive, why isn't Ampère's?

Gauss's law is simply based on the fact that if any curve enters/exits a closed Gaussian surface, it must exit/enter it as well, as long as it does not have an end/origin bounded by the closed surface. Ampere's circuital law is completely different.

transparent said:
I mean, for all we know, the experiment might be erroneous.

Sure. And if you figure out how to do an experiment that shows Maxwell's laws are erroneous (in their relativistic formulation), you would probably be in line for a Nobel prize. That's how science works!

Gauss's law seems pretty intuitive. I can't understand the others.

Sorry, but there is no law of Physics which says "the universe is so simple that everybody can understand it". Keep trying - you will probably get there eventually.

Last edited:
transparent said:
Gauss's law is simply based on the fact that if any curve enters/exits a closed Gaussian surface, it must exit/enter it as well, as long as it does not have an end/origin bounded by the closed surface. Ampere's circuital law is completely different.
We are really talking about two mathematical theorems here (as WannabeNewton mentioned). The divergence theorem and the Kelvin-Stokes theorem. Now you say they are completely different, but actually, they are both special cases of the same theorem: the generalised Stokes' theorem http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stokes'_theorem
That may not be much help to you now if you have not learned much differential geometry. (I haven't really either). But you can sleep soundly, safe in the knowledge that there is an elegant generalisation :)

All of Maxwell's laws were empirically derived, at least until Maxwell's correction to Ampere's law; I'm not certain on the history of that part.

These are of course the integral forms.

To get to the differential forms you do need the vector calculus identities in addition to a continuum approximation.

I wouldn't really say that. In my opinion, with any physical law, there is never 100% empirical reasoning behind it. But I would agree that some physical laws are more empirically motivated than others, historically speaking.

Well, I don't know what to prove, if I haven't given the basis (axioms) I'm allowed to use. It depends on the point of view what you consider the fundamental laws of nature. In the case of classical electrodynamics the fundamental laws are Maxwell's equations in the vacuum, and there Ampere's circuital law is the integral version of the Maxwell-Ampere equation (in Heaviside-Lorentz units),
[tex]\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{B}-\frac{1}{c} \partial_t \vec{E}=\vec{j},[/tex]
for the case of stationary, i.e., time-independent fields. Then the local form reads
[tex]\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{B}=\vec{j},[/tex]
and you get the circuital law by integrating over a surface, using Stokes integral theorem,
[tex]\int_{\partial F} \mathrm{d} \vec{x} \cdot \vec{B}=\int_{F} \mathrm{d}^2 \vec{F} \cdot \vec{j}=i_{F}.[/tex]
Here, the convention of the orientation is the standard one, i.e., given the orientation of [itex]F[/itex], i.e., the direction of the area-element vectors [itex]\mathrm{d}^2 \vec{F}[/itex], the direction of the tangent vectors [itex]\mathrm{d} \vec{x}[/itex] of its boundary curve [itex]\partial F[/itex] is according to the right-hand rule. The direction of the area-element vector determines the sign of the current through the area, [itex]i_F[/itex].

Of course it can be proved, as long as you suppose it's true the Biot-Savart law. Look:
Law of continuity: ∂ρ/∂t + ∇⋅j=0

∇xB=∇x(∇xA)=∇(∇⋅A)-∇2(A)=∇(μ/4π*∫∇⋅(j'/(r-r'))dv') - μ/4π*∫∇2(j'/(r-r'))dv'=∇(-μ/4π*∫j'⋅∇'(1/(r-r'))dv') + μj(r)=
=-∇(μ/4π*∫(∇'⋅(j'/(r-r')) -∇'⋅j'/(r-r'))dv') + μj=-∇(μ/4π*∫(∇'⋅(j'/(r-r')) +∂ρ'/∂t/(r-r')dv') - μj=-∇(μ/4π(∫j'/(r-r')⋅dS' +∫∂ρ'/∂t/(r-r')dv')) + μj=
(Now we assume that the body is closed, so there is no current in the surface. Then, the integral over the surface is 0(j'⋅dS'=0))
=-∇(μ/4π*∂/∂t(∫ρ'/(r-r')dv'))+ μj=με∂/∂t(-∇(1/4πε*∫ρ'/(r-r')dv')) + μj=με∂/∂t(-∇Φ) + μj=μj + με∂E/∂t→∇xB=μj + με∂E/∂t

As you can see, it can be proved. I can't believe that some teachers see it as an experimental poof instead of trying to prove it.

1. What is the Ampere Circuital law?

The Ampere Circuital law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field around a closed loop to the electric current passing through the loop. It is expressed mathematically as ∮B·ds = μ0I, where B is the magnetic field, ds is an infinitesimal element of the loop, μ0 is the permeability of free space, and I is the current passing through the loop.

2. How is the Ampere Circuital law derived?

The Ampere Circuital law can be derived from Maxwell's equations, specifically from the Ampere-Maxwell law, which states that the curl of the magnetic field is equal to the sum of the electric current density and the displacement current density. By applying Stokes' theorem, the Ampere-Maxwell law can be rewritten as the Ampere Circuital law in integral form.

3. What is the significance of the Ampere Circuital law?

The Ampere Circuital law is significant because it allows us to calculate the magnetic field around a closed loop by knowing the electric current passing through the loop. This is useful in many practical applications, such as designing electromagnets and predicting the behavior of electrical circuits. It also played a crucial role in the development of Maxwell's equations and the understanding of the relationship between electricity and magnetism.

4. Are there any limitations to the Ampere Circuital law?

Like any law in physics, the Ampere Circuital law has its limitations. It is only valid for steady currents and does not account for changing electric fields or time-varying currents. In these situations, the full form of Maxwell's equations must be used. Additionally, the law assumes that the magnetic field is constant along the closed loop, which may not be the case in certain scenarios.

5. Can the Ampere Circuital law be applied to all types of closed loops?

Yes, the Ampere Circuital law can be applied to any closed loop, regardless of its shape or size. However, it is important to note that the loop must be completely closed and cannot intersect itself, as this would violate the basic principles of the law. Additionally, the loop must contain the current-carrying wire or conductor in order for the law to be applicable.