Proof of Transformation Equation for Electric Field Ex

In summary, the conversation discussed the transformation equations for electric field and their validity for a charged particle with a vertical velocity in the S' frame. The equations (4-5) were presented, showing that Ex = Ex' for motion in the x direction and that this was already proven in the textbook for the case of a charged particle at rest in the S' frame. However, when considering motion in the y direction, it was found that Ex and Ex' are not equal, contradicting the claim that the equations hold for any velocity of the charged particle. This result was obtained by considering a new frame of reference, S'', moving at a velocity V' = Uy' with respect to the S' frame, and using the transformation
Happiness
I want to prove that the transformation equation for electric field holds, namely Ex = Ex', where Ex is the x component of E field in S frame and Ex' is that in S' frame, for the special case in which the charged particle has a vertical velocity Uy' in the S' frame (Ux' = Uz' = 0). It is already proven in the textbook by Robert that the transformation equations (4-5) for Ex, Ey and Ez holds for the special case in which the charged particle is at rest in S' frame (U' = 0).

Equations (4-5) are

## E^\prime_x = E_x ##
## E^\prime_y = \gamma(E_y - vB_z)##
## E^\prime_z = \gamma(E_z + vB_y)##

My approach is to have an S'' frame moving with respect to S' frame at V' = Uy' so that the charged particle is at rest in S'' frame. (S' frame is moving in the x direction at V with respect to S frame, while S'' frame is moving in the y direction with respect to S' frame.) Then I could use equations (4-5) to find E'' from E', and then use equations (4-5) again to find E from E'', hence relating E to E'. Since E'' is the frame the charged particle is at rest, equations (4-5) holds.

My result is that Ex and Ex' are not equal, contrary to the claim that equations (4-5) hold in general for any velocity of the charged particle.

Background reading: Introduction to Special Relativity by Robert Resnick (Wiley 1968) Page 163-165

My result:

By Equations (4-5) and considering ##S^{\prime\prime}## and ##S^{\prime}##,
## E^{\prime\prime}_x = \gamma^\prime(E^\prime_x+v^\prime B^\prime_z) ##
## E^{\prime\prime}_y = E^\prime_y ##
## E^{\prime\prime}_z = \gamma^\prime(E^\prime_z-v^\prime B^\prime_x) ##

Let ## v_0 ## be the velocity ## S^{\prime\prime} ## moves with respect to S, and ## \theta ## be the angle ## v_0 ## makes from the ##x## axis.
Let ## x_0 ## be the axis that points in the direction of ## v_0 ##, and ## y_0 ## be the axis that is ## 90^\circ ## anticlockwise from ## x_0 ##.

## E^{\prime\prime}_{x_0} = \gamma^\prime\cos\theta\ (E^\prime_x+v^\prime B^\prime_z)+\sin\theta\ E^\prime_y ##
## E^{\prime\prime}_{y_0} = -\gamma^\prime\sin\theta\ (E^\prime_x+v^\prime B^\prime_z)+\cos\theta\ E^\prime_y ##
## E^{\prime\prime}_{z_0} = \gamma^\prime(E^\prime_z-v^\prime B^\prime_x) ##

By Equations (4-5) and considering ##S## and ##S^{\prime\prime}##,
## E_{x_0} = E^{\prime\prime}_{x_0} = \gamma^\prime\cos\theta\ (E^\prime_x+v^\prime B^\prime_z)+\sin\theta\ E^\prime_y ##
## E_{y_0} = \gamma_0(E^{\prime\prime}_{y_0}+v_0B^{\prime\prime}_{z_0}) = -\gamma_0\gamma^\prime\sin\theta\ (E^\prime_x+v^\prime B^\prime_z)+\gamma_0\cos\theta\ E^\prime_y+\gamma_0v_0B^{\prime\prime}_{z_0} ##
## E_{z_0} = \gamma_0(E^{\prime\prime}_{z_0}-v_0B^{\prime\prime}_{y_0}) = \gamma_0\gamma^\prime(E^\prime_z-v^\prime B^\prime_x)-\gamma_0v_0B^{\prime\prime}_{y_0} ##

## E_x = E_{x_0}\cos\theta-E_{y_0}\sin\theta = \gamma^\prime(\cos^2\theta+\gamma_0\sin^2\theta)(E^\prime_x+v^\prime B^\prime_z)+(1-\gamma_0)\sin\theta\cos\theta\ E^\prime_y-\gamma_0\sin\theta\ v_0B^{\prime\prime}_{z_0} \neq E^\prime_x ##

Handwritten result in more details:

Page1.jpg
Page2.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please write out the equations you are referring to, there are several people here who would be able to help you, but most will not have a copy of your textbook right next to them.

Also generally refrain from attaching photos of handwritten pages. It may be easy for you, but not to the people you are asking for help. Instead use the LaTeX feature to write down your important equations directly into the post.

Equations (4-5) are

## E^\prime_x = E_x ##

My result:

Let ## v_0 ## be the velocity ## S^{\prime\prime} ## moves with respect to S, and ## \theta ## be the angle ## v_0 ## makes from the ##x## axis.
Let ## x_0 ## be the axis that points in the direction of ## v_0 ##, and ## y_0 ## be the axis that is ## 90^\circ ## anticlockwise from ## x_0 ##.

## E^{\prime\prime}_{x_0} = \gamma^\prime\cos\theta\ (E^\prime_x+v^\prime B^\prime_z)+\sin\theta\ E^\prime_y ##
## E^{\prime\prime}_{y_0} = -\gamma^\prime\sin\theta\ (E^\prime_x+v^\prime B^\prime_z)+\cos\theta\ E^\prime_y ##
## E^{\prime\prime}_{z_0} = \gamma^\prime(E^\prime_z-v^\prime B^\prime_x) ##

By Equations (4-5) and considering ##S## and ##S^{\prime\prime}##,
## E_{x_0} = E^{\prime\prime}_{x_0} = \gamma^\prime\cos\theta\ (E^\prime_x+v^\prime B^\prime_z)+\sin\theta\ E^\prime_y ##
## E_{y_0} = \gamma_0(E^{\prime\prime}_{y_0}+v_0B^{\prime\prime}_{z_0}) = -\gamma_0\gamma^\prime\sin\theta\ (E^\prime_x+v^\prime B^\prime_z)+\gamma_0\cos\theta\ E^\prime_y+\gamma_0v_0B^{\prime\prime}_{z_0} ##
## E_{z_0} = \gamma_0(E^{\prime\prime}_{z_0}-v_0B^{\prime\prime}_{y_0}) = \gamma_0\gamma^\prime(E^\prime_z-v^\prime B^\prime_x)-\gamma_0v_0B^{\prime\prime}_{y_0} ##

## E_x = E_{x_0}\cos\theta-E_{y_0}\sin\theta = \gamma^\prime(\cos^2\theta+\gamma_0\sin^2\theta)(E^\prime_x+v^\prime B^\prime_z)+(1-\gamma_0)\sin\theta\cos\theta\ E^\prime_y-\gamma_0\sin\theta\ v_0B^{\prime\prime}_{z_0} \neq E^\prime_x ##

Happiness said:
I want to prove that the transformation equation for electric field holds, namely Ex = Ex', where Ex is the x component of E field in S frame and Ex' is that in S' frame, for the special case in which the charged particle has a vertical velocity Uy' in the S' frame (Ux' = Uz' = 0). It is already proven in the textbook by Robert that the transformation equations (4-5) for Ex, Ey and Ez holds for the special case in which the charged particle is at rest in S' frame (U' = 0).

Equations (4-5) are

## E^\prime_x = E_x ##

You specified motion in the y-direction. It's not true that Ex = Ex' for motion in the y-direction, it's true for motion in the x direction. See for instance http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_electromagnetism_and_special_relativity

Happiness said:
Let v0 v_0 be the velocity S′′ S^{\prime\prime} moves with respect to S, and θ \theta be the angle v0 v_0 makes from the xx axis.
Let x0 x_0 be the axis that points in the direction of v0 v_0 , and y0 y_0 be the axis that is 90∘ 90^\circ anticlockwise from x0 x_0 .
Hi Happiness, this is related to the same problem in that other thread. The composition of two non-colinear boosts is not a boost, it is a boost and a rotation.

DaleSpam said:
Hi Happiness, this is related to the same problem in that other thread. The composition of two non-colinear boosts is not a boost, it is a boost and a rotation.

Hi DaleSpam, yes, I realized you answered both of my questions together. Thanks a lot! In fact, the problem in that other thread is a spin off from this one.

pervect said:
You specified motion in the y-direction. It's not true that Ex = Ex' for motion in the y-direction, it's true for motion in the x direction. See for instance http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_electromagnetism_and_special_relativity

Happiness said:
My result:

Hi pervect, thanks for answering! What Dalespam said is the resolution to the contradiction.

Happiness said:
Hi DaleSpam, yes, I realized you answered both of my questions together. Thanks a lot! In fact, the problem in that other thread is a spin off from this one.
oh, then I am sorry I missed replying to this the first time and I am glad you asked again and I spotted it.

1. What is the "Proof of Transformation Equation for Electric Field Ex"?

The Proof of Transformation Equation for Electric Field Ex is a mathematical equation that describes how the electric field vector, Ex, transforms when changing from one coordinate system to another. It is derived from Maxwell's equations and is used to understand how electric fields behave in different reference frames.

2. Why is the Proof of Transformation Equation for Electric Field Ex important?

This equation is important because it allows us to accurately calculate and predict electric field values in different coordinate systems, which is crucial in many applications of electromagnetism, such as in the design of electronic devices and understanding the behavior of charged particles in different environments.

3. How is the Proof of Transformation Equation for Electric Field Ex derived?

The proof of this equation involves using vector calculus and the principles of electromagnetic theory, including Maxwell's equations and the Lorentz transformation. It is a complex derivation that requires a deep understanding of these concepts and their mathematical representations.

4. Can the Proof of Transformation Equation for Electric Field Ex be applied to other types of fields?

Yes, this equation can be applied to other vector fields, such as the magnetic field, as long as the appropriate transformations and principles are taken into account. However, the specific proof and derivation may differ for each field.

5. How is the Proof of Transformation Equation for Electric Field Ex used in real-life applications?

This equation is used in a wide range of applications, from designing electronic circuits and devices to understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves in different reference frames. It is also essential in the development of modern technologies, such as wireless communication, satellite navigation, and medical imaging.