Length of a Stick Moving at Speed v in an Angle

In summary, the length L' of a stick with proper length L in a frame where it moves with speed v at an angle theta is given by L' = L \sqrt{\frac{1-v^2 / c^2}{1 - (v^2 / c^2)\sin^2{\theta}}}. This formula takes into account the contraction of the stick in the direction of motion, but not in the perpendicular direction.
Tony11235
Prove that a stick of proper length L has a length L' in a frame in which it moves with speed v along a line that makes an angle theta with it's length is given by

[tex] L' = L \sqrt{\frac{1-v^2 / c^2}{1 - (v^2 / c^2)\sin^2{\theta}}}[/tex]

My problem here is the picture I think. So the stick overall is moving with speed v, but the stick is not necessarily parallel to v, but at an angle created by the direction of v and the stick?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So the stick overall is moving with speed v, but the stick is not necessarily parallel to v, but at an angle created by the direction of v and the stick?

Yes.

You need to remember that your stick is only contracted in the direction of motion. So just for definiteness say that [itex]\vec{v}=v\hat{i}[/itex]. Then the stick is contracted in the x-direction but not in the y-direction.

Once you have the two components in the frame in which the stick has velocity [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] you can find its total length.

Last edited:
Got it. I went that direction earlier, but for some reason it didn't look as if the expression I derived was equivalent. BUT after some algebra...

1. What is the formula for calculating the length of a stick moving at speed v in an angle?

The formula for calculating the length of a stick moving at speed v in an angle is given by L = v * t * cos(θ), where L is the length of the stick, v is the speed, t is the time, and θ is the angle.

2. How does the angle affect the length of the stick?

The angle directly affects the length of the stick. As the angle increases, the length of the stick also increases. This is because the distance traveled by the stick in a given time increases at higher angles.

3. Can the length of the stick be greater than the distance traveled?

Yes, the length of the stick can be greater than the distance traveled. This can happen if the stick is moving at an angle other than 0 degrees, in which case the length of the stick will be equal to the distance traveled multiplied by the cosine of the angle.

4. How does the speed of the stick affect its length?

The speed of the stick has a direct impact on its length. As the speed increases, the length of the stick also increases. This is because the distance traveled by the stick in a given time increases at higher speeds.

5. What are the units of measurement for the length of a stick moving at speed v in an angle?

The units of measurement for the length of a stick moving at speed v in an angle are determined by the units of measurement used for speed and time. For example, if the speed is measured in meters per second and time is measured in seconds, then the length of the stick will be measured in meters.