1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof problem

1. Jan 20, 2006 #1
    Prove that a stick of proper length L has a length L' in a frame in which it moves with speed v along a line that makes an angle theta with it's length is given by

[tex] L' = L \sqrt{\frac{1-v^2 / c^2}{1 - (v^2 / c^2)\sin^2{\theta}}}[/tex]

My problem here is the picture I think. So the stick overall is moving with speed v, but the stick is not necessarily parallel to v, but at an angle created by the direction of v and the stick?
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2006 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to remember that your stick is only contracted in the direction of motion. So just for definiteness say that [itex]\vec{v}=v\hat{i}[/itex]. Then the stick is contracted in the x-direction but not in the y-direction.

Once you have the two components in the frame in which the stick has velocity [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] you can find its total length.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2006
  4. Jan 20, 2006 #3
    Got it. I went that direction earlier, but for some reason it didn't look as if the expression I derived was equivalent. BUT after some algebra..........
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?