Proper Screw Threading Design

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a plastic bottle, specifically the threading that will fit the two parts together. The expert advises against using an Acme thread, suggesting a simple half-round bead with a matching groove instead. They also suggest considering pressure requirements and other factors when designing the threading. The conversation also touches on the location of the threading, with the expert recommending leaving some bare area for aesthetic purposes. Additionally, the expert discusses the importance of a proper seal and suggests looking at similar examples on supermarket shelves. Another topic brought up is the potential for tension in the cap due to thread profile, as well as the importance of considering the materials used for the cap and bottle. The conversation ends with a discussion on the importance of maintaining the quality
mikeroit
Hi,
My question regards a plastic bottle that I'm designing. For the threading that fits the two parts together, will and Acme thread work? This is how I've designed my part, but I can change the thread profile if need be. Also, is there anything that I need to know regarding the pitch? I have not chosen a specific plastic, but it will be similar to a pill bottle, and a little larger than an inch in diameter.

Thank you,
Mike

Engineering news on Phys.org
If I'm understanding you correctly, there is absolutely no need for an Acme thread. It's far more complicated and expensive to produce than you need. A simple half-round bead with a matching groove should be sufficient. Of course, pressure requirements and other factors will make a difference.

Likes mikeroit
Danger said:
If I'm understanding you correctly, there is absolutely no need for an Acme thread. It's far more complicated and expensive to produce than you need. A simple half-round bead with a matching groove should be sufficient. Of course, pressure requirements and other factors will make a difference.
Thanks for the response. Regarding the location of the threading, how much room on the piece should I leave before the threading begins?

I don't quite understand that question. Do you mean how much "neck" between the "shoulder" and the threads? If so, there is no minimum requirement. Leaving some bare is more aesthetic than functional, unless your manufacturing process (may I assume "blow-moulding"?) will benefit from it.

Danger said:
I don't quite understand that question. Do you mean how much "neck" between the "shoulder" and the threads? If so, there is no minimum requirement. Leaving some bare is more aesthetic than functional, unless your manufacturing process (may I assume "blow-moulding"?) will benefit from it.
Yes, that was what I meant when asking. Thank you, that makes sense. Sorry for the lack of nomenclature, I've never prototyped before,

mikeroit said:
Sorry for the lack of nomenclature
Don't sweat it; I don't know what I'm talking about either. I just learned to fake it a long time ago. :approve:
If you have specific structural requirements, though, wait for someone else to help you. I'm not really educated.

Danger said:
A simple half-round bead with a matching groove should be sufficient.
There is no need for a matching groove. You can use a half round profile on both the internal (cap) thread and the external (bottle) thread. By using only 35% of the area for thread you will reduce the manufacturing cost by increasing clearance and make fitting the screw cap easier.

The pitch of the thread and the number of starts will be decided by the number of turns you require to open and close the screw cap.

How will your bottle seal? Threads leak, so you will need some non-threaded section where the lip of the bottle can seal against the cap. Those surfaces should be well defined and not include the area that is cut or trimmed after moulding as cut quality is unpredictable. Bottles with poorly sealing lids are useless.

Take a look at similar examples on supermarket shelves. Pay attention to the sealing section inside the cap.

Likes Danger
Excellent post, Baluncore. I'm glad that you showed up when you did, because I really was at the end of my "knowledge". (Actually, it appears that I was somewhat beyond the end... :redface:)

@Danger. You took the first step by recognising that a precision thread is not needed.
If we did not challenge ourselves with new problems we would never learn. Having to answer another's questions forces us to crystallise our understanding.

After encountering three different plastic thread problems last week, I can now summarise my experience in just two paragraphs.

1. The tensile strength of an injection moulded cap was insufficient, so it tended to split over time. The manufacturer used progressively cheaper material. It was doomed to fail in the end because material quality was never defined or tested. Design of the seal so as to not require high tension in the cap material would allows a cheaper plastic to be used. Tension in the cap must be opposed by compression in the neck of the bottle, so a better seal design leads to savings in the bottle also.Thread profile can magnify tension in the cap. Too fine a thread can also lead to high cap tension.
2. Solve a sealing problem with an unusual large diameter screw cap. It came down to final dimensions and how the product was trimmed after moulding. Different materials for cap and bottle lead to thermal size variation, that requires larger sealing cones and relatively bigger threads.
3. Find an alternative cap for an existing bottle. This got me to wonder what standards there are for plastic bottles and their caps. I googled 'plastic bottle thread standards' for enlightenment.

Since the cap is fundamentally used to provide a seal, the seal should be designed first to meet the requirements specified. Next, the screw thread requirements can be considered. Final material specification follows. All of those must have the cost of manufacture in mind. The container is there to protect a more valuable product. The quality of the product is finally dependent on maintaining the quality of the packaging.

Likes Danger
Baluncore said:
If we did not challenge ourselves with new problems we would never learn. Having to answer another's questions forces us to crystallise our understanding.
Thanks. That's really what I love most about being here on PF (well... that and the joys of occasionally pissing off Russ, of course... :olduhh: :devil: :biggrin: Honestly... fish in a barrel sometimes... :oldeyes:)
Anyhow, your focus upon sealing brought something else to mind, which I'm also sure that you know much more about than I do. It's related to the "shelf-life" of the product after initial opening, I believe. Even though it is probably just an anti-tampering safeguard, a lot of medicines that I buy (not the prescription ones) have a plastic/aluminum disk heat-glued to the rim of the neck under the cap. Having such would eliminate any need for sealing by the threads, given a low-pressure situation, as long as the product isn't expected to be stored for any significant length of time once accessed. That might be more expensive than well-sealed threads, though.

Danger said:
That might be more expensive than well-sealed threads, though.
Therein lies the problem. Threads are very hard to seal if used multiple times. In hydraulic and pneumatic applications the seal surface is almost always isolated from the thread. The common tapered pipe threads require a sealant and so can really not be cycled often.

Food and medicine bottles have tamper detection caps so as to transfer the liability for injury by malicious contamination from the manufacturer and distributor to the end-user. If it looks like it has been tampered with it must be refused or returned without further interference with the evidence. If you touch the damaged seal you have destroyed the evidence of prior interference.

The seal below the cap prevents atmospheric moisture exchange due to cyclic “breathing” of the container in transport or storage. That reduces the mass of desiccant needed to protect the product. The seal also prevents the theft of a small amount of material from each container, which reassures the paranoid customers, (maybe about 5%), that the quantity is correct. The seal significantly reduces unresolvable complaints flowing back up the supply chain.

Thanks again. That's a very informative post.

Baluncore said:
In hydraulic and pneumatic applications the seal surface is almost always isolated from the thread. The common tapered pipe threads require a sealant and so can really not be cycled often.
Yeah... we used Lock-Tite or locking washers on mechanical bits like in our cars, silicone sealant on gaskets, Teflon tape for pipes... you name it, we used it.

Do more threads increase strength?
I am designing a bottle to fit with a standard closure. I will likely use 70mm x 8TPI. I will have an aluminum threaded cap made that can be reused, this is needed because it will have a hose connected to the metal cap. I am not so concerned about the standard closure leaking as I am my machined aluminum cap. I chose 8TPI over 6TPI to increase the amount of torque that can be applied to the aluminum cap to keep it from leaking. Is the choice of 8TPI over 6TPI valid?

Thank you.

Welcome to PF.
bobtheinventor said:
70mm x 8TPI
Why mix metric and imperial systems?
What is the thread profile proposed?
Is there an O-ring or flat elastomeric seal? or how and where does the seal occur?
What is the bottle material and what are the contents?
Repeated use of Al screw threads may tend to gall the surface. What are the lubricant properties of contents?

Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.

Why mix metric and imperial systems?
What is the thread profile proposed?
Is there an O-ring or flat elastomeric seal? or how and where does the seal occur?
What is the bottle material and what are the contents?
Repeated use of Al screw threads may tend to gall the surface. What are the lubricant properties of contents?
Thank you for the reply.
Bottle caps are measured in mm ID and threads are given in TPI. Not sure why.
This is HDPE plastic cap and the threads are buttress style. Here is a link to the typical cap. http://www.riekepackaging.com/pail-and-can-products-print/6
Caps seal between the top of the bottle and the underside surface of the cap. Most caps have a gasket ring that the top of the bottle sits into. The thinking in choosing 8TPI over 6TPI is to be able to increase torque and provide more resistance to internal pressure.
Bottle will be blow molded polyethylene. Contents of the bottle are a variety of construction adhesives and caulks.
The machined aluminum cap would be used repeatedly, the bottle is a one time use package.
Thank you in advance for your thoughts in this regard.

1. What is the purpose of proper screw threading design?

The purpose of proper screw threading design is to ensure that the threaded fastener can effectively join two or more components together with the appropriate amount of torque and resistance to prevent loosening or stripping. It also ensures that the fastener can be easily installed and removed without damaging the threads.

2. What factors should be considered when designing screw threads?

There are several factors that should be considered when designing screw threads, including the type of material being used, the load and stress on the fastener, the type of joint being created, and the environmental conditions the fastener will be exposed to. The thread pitch, angle, and depth must also be carefully considered to ensure proper function and longevity of the fastener.

3. How do I determine the correct thread size and pitch for a screw?

The correct thread size and pitch for a screw can be determined by measuring the diameter of the screw and counting the number of threads per inch. This information can also be found in standard reference guides and charts. It is important to choose a thread size and pitch that is appropriate for the application and can handle the expected load and stress.

4. Can I use the same threading design for all types of materials?

No, different materials may require different threading designs to ensure proper function and performance. For example, a fine thread may be more suitable for softer materials, while a coarse thread may be better for harder materials. It is important to consider the properties of the material when determining the threading design.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in screw threading design?

Some common mistakes to avoid in screw threading design include using incorrect thread sizes or pitches, not properly aligning the threads, using the wrong type of thread for the application, and not accounting for the material properties and environmental conditions. It is also important to avoid over-tightening or under-tightening the fastener, as this can lead to damage or failure of the joint.